NYC Style Spot   +  photography

London Event Alert - Peter Anderson

During my recent stay in London last week I had a funny encounter. Meeting up with an old friend from university, she took me to a great cafe called The Book Club. I sat down and Laura, my lovely mate, proceeded to order the drinks.

I was soaking in the atmosphere - sunny afternoon, Blondie playing on the speakers - when my friend called me: "Jess, have you seen this?" well, those were not her exact words as Laura and I speak in Spanish, but you get the point. She was directing my eyes to a wall opposite her. I had no clue what she was referring to, so I timidly got up and walked towards her.

Staring right at me was the courageous and challenging look of Miss Madonna Ciccone, circa 1983 (pictured above). I had never seen that print, and believe me when I say I have seen A LOT of Madonna photos. Looking around me I finally noticed how the entire cafe was full of black and white pictures. The photographer was Peter Anderson, who worked for NME in the 1980s capturing some unique images of Madonna, RunDMC, Mick Jagger and others. I loved it - a fresh view of the 80s, very urban and full of life.

If you fancy a fun afternoon, drinks and some pop culture to go with it visit The Book Club (exhibition is on 1st-26th September 2010) 100 Leonard St, Shoreditch London. Open until midnight. For more info click here and here.

Picture: Peter Anderson