NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

Colour Me Softly? - Inoa by Loreal

One of the things I always look forward to when traveling to Spain is a visit to Alfredo Atalaya's salon, one of the best hair stylists in town. If you've ever been to Cordoba, he is based in San Basilio, the historic area surrounding the beautifully complex Mosque. Full of charm and annoying hordes of tourists, but the place to be in the month of May... and whenever it's sunny.

I needed a trim, as - hair stylists, look away now - the last one had taken place 10 months before. In my defense, this is more to do with my paranoia with unknown hairdressers - they're evil!!... and don't get me - more than simple laziness. I also feared I needed a colour. This is something I tend to do at home, especially since I'm now sporting my natural brunette shade. Buying and applying a semi-permanent tint once in a while is easy, quick, reliable and cheap. However, such DIY hair colouring had resulted in a scary mix of shades in my hair, with lighter roots and darker ends - not pretty.

My sister had mentioned something about a new range of hair colouring at Alfredo's, Loreal's Inoa, that boasts natural colour and lack of ammonia, promising a hair revolution. Alfredo took a quick look at my damaged locks and after a quick glance to the Inoa palette advised on a rich chocolate brown with a hint of chesnut. My sister gave me a "dye-your-hair-you-freak" look and I was ready to go. I went from an all shades brunette, to the picture below (the Karen Millen dress I'm wearing is from S/S 2009 and the budding fashionista next to me is my gorgeous niece Keira)

Verdict? It doesn't leave your hair extra soft, and it is only when I got back and applied my usual Fructis hair mask that I felt satisfied with my hair's texture. It may not have ammonia, but I did experience some itchiness right at the start of the product's application, although it soon disappeared. In terms of colour, I absolutely love it. It's been almost a month and the tone is as rich as the first day, and that is a pleasant surprise. My hair is in good condition and it shines A LOT.

Would I use it again? Probably. I loved the shades and the smell when applying wasn't as unpleasantly strong as with classic salon dyes. You could say it is practically odorless. Whether it's a revolution in hair colour, as Loreal boasts, remains to be seen. The whole "gentle approach" is not new, and in this case it still feels a lot like classic permanent colouring to consider it breaking news.

If I'm going for a permanent colour I would probably use it again. If I want something lighter or a simple colour boost I may go back to my home-made colour sessions ... and yes, my sister and Alfredo will slap me on the wrist next time they see me.

Picture: Loreal, Fashion Limbo