NYC Style Spot   +  personal

Stress and Life - Skin chaos

I'm not going through my best moment. I'm dealing with lots of different matters and stress is starting to be a problem. Stress and anxiety affect everyone differently. It can cause loss of appetite and/or makes us slightly irritated. Some people even become emotional spenders and buy things they can't afford. Others even start walking in their sleep.

As I'm coping with a move abroad, a change of lifestyle and some tough decisions, I decided I would write about how my body and mind are reacting and what I'm actively doing to help the situation. Today I'm going to ramble on a bit about my skin.

A trip to New York was the perfect holiday - it gave me almost perfect skin

Cardigan: River Island
T-shirt Karen Millen
Bear pendant New Look

Stress gives me bad skin - right now my face is a disaster. I had clear skin for almost a year, but at present I look less fabulous and more like a lizard. Celebrities with adult acne? Keira Knightley and Katy Perry, and they seem to live with it quite well... they also have professional make-up artists at their beck and call. To calm my skin I'm trying out a combination of:

  • Hormonal help, such as Yasminelle - This can help if your levels of anxiety trigger hormonal misbehaviour. It has worked for me in the past, although I stopped as I'm not an enthusiastic of pills or anything chemical. I've started taking the pills again to see if it calms my skin trouble. I'm on my second box and outbreaks are still occurring. Effectiveness 4/10
  • I drink lots of fluids - water in all sorts of mediums, as tea, as mineral water, as tap water. I find it quite hard to drink water during the colder months, but I try to make a habit of ordering a big bottle if I'm out for lunch/dinner. Effectiveness 6/10
  • I don't touch my skin with my bare fingers - this is a tricky one as I'm one true fidgety creature. Bacteria only contributes to polluting our pores and provoking outbreaks. I perform a good face wash twice a day and keep my skin clear of heavy make up help. If my skin is in too bad condition to wear no foundation, I ensure to take it off as soon as I'm home, so as not to clog pores excessively. Effectiveness 8/10
    • On a side note, more skin related than stress related, I'm trying a new face product: No7 Pore Refining Serum from Boots. I decided to give a try after reading about how big pores can contribute to bad skin. Who knew? I obviously didn't. Apparently while size cannot be altered, you can fight to keep them de-clogged, healthy and somehow this serum should help. So, my pores are big and misbehaved. I'll let you know how that works for me, but for the moment pores seem to be getting less clogged, which is a slight improvement. I've been using this product for 2 and half weeks, once a day. Effectiveness 6/10

    Obviously, if stress is the cause for my skin problems, then the easiest solution would be to cease being stressed. Somehow that seems a tad difficult at the moment.

    What are your tips for fabulous skin? Does your skin also react to stress?

    Picture: Boots, Fashion Limbo