NYC Style Spot   +  weekend

Weekend Lust: Lindsay Cowles Art

Lindsay Cowles is an abstract artist based in Richmond, VA (USA.)
Her pieces are thoroughly pleasing to the eye, you can get lost in her wondrous use of colour... enough said!

I spoke to the lovely Lindsay about where she draws her inspiration from:
"My art is inspired by raw texture, movement and colors found in nature blended with many of the similar elements recreated through interior design. The fundamental elements of my paintings are founded in the layering and texturing of each work. The composition of each painting develops as the work moves through each layer and stage, until it is complete. The phenomena of color, layered space, move ment and organic simplicity are central themes of my work."

What made you decide to become an artist?
For as long as I can remember, art has always been a big part of my life. It has taken many different forms—from interior design, to fashion, to painting. I studied art all through out my childhood, but when I went to University of Virginia, for whatever reason, it didn’t occur to me to major in studio art. It wasn’t until after college and a few years in New York and Los Angeles, that I came back to creating art. My sister is the one who inspired me to start painting. One summer, I came home for a short visit and she was experimenting with oil on canvas for her senior art project. I felt a gravitational pull towards the canvas, palate knife and paint. I instantly jumped in the car and went and bought my own supplies. I haven’t stopped painting since that day. Its almost as if painting chose me.

What was your first big break?

Gosh, I consider everything a big break. I consider myself lucky to have found my passion and to be able to do it for my living. I am so thankful for that everyday.

If I had to pinpoint one event as a big break, I would say my involvement with the Art Mere/Art Pere benefit in Los Angeles. Not only did I donate a painting to benefit a great cause, but also I got my work in front of amazing clientele—Reese Witherspoon, Jim Toth, Lance Armstrong, Camilla Alves, Matthew McConaughey, to name a few. The lucky winners of my painting were the CEO of Paramount Studios and his wife, the VP of Warner Brothers. The exposure was tremendous. I am still in awe.

Source: lindsaycowlesart.blogspot.com.au via patricia on Pinterest

Source: lindsaycowlesart.blogspot.com.au via patricia on Pinterest

Source: lindsaycowlesart.blogspot.com.au via patricia on Pinterest

Source: lindsaycowlesart.blogspot.com.au via patricia on Pinterest