NYC Style Spot   +  wellness

Wellness Wednesday: (Kids) SHREK Green Smoothies

'SHREK' Green Smoothies (also 'Superhero,' 'Dinosaur'... whatever the boys are in to that week) are popular in our house for kids and adults alike.

Taj enjoying a Cacao smoothie in his cococoon cup, stainless steel, crash proof, BPA free :)

I just noticed this post never published... here it is, a couple of days late :)

My boys and I are mainly vegetarian. We eat small amounts of seafood (chosen with respect to 'Australia's Sustainable Seafood Guide who have a great app for iphone.)
Dairy is also a rare treat in our house in the form of ice cream or chocolate. Dairy is not meant to be consumed by humans in my personal opinion however, like most dietary choices, I would never ever judge those who do... this is a whole other story that I may get into with you one day, along with why Soy milk is not great for your health either! The Wellness Warrior has a great post on Soy and a fantastic guide to Green Smoothies too- she is often my 'go to' if I need to confirm health facts, her info is always up to date and accurate.

Each recipe serves 2
(my 1.5 & 3.5 year old boys, unless they are having a growth spurt- they will have 2 serves each!)
Use organic where possible and any type of milk you desire.
My milk of choice is home made nut or coconut milk.

1st timer:
1 cup of Almond Milk
1 sun dried date
1 handful of spinach
1 frozen banana
1 handful of strawberries

Creamy Greenie:
1 frozen banana
1 cup almond milk
1 cup celery
1 cucumber
1 handful of spinach
1 kiwi fruit

The mega 'Shrek':
1 cup of Kale
1 frozen banana
1 cup of young coconut water 1 cup lettuce 1 cucumber 1 handful of spinach 1 mango

I sometimes add one or more of the following for extra antioxidants or immune boosting nutrients;
Baobab powder ( a generic brand would be Inner Health Plus for kids,)
Chia seeds,
Maca powder,
Camu Camu,
Hemp seeds,
UDO's oil (the best source of omega 3,6,& 9 with a much nicer taste than most mercury laden fish oil's) Sun Warrior Rice protein,
Nutra Organics Kids Veggie/Greens powder
Coconut water and flesh instead of Nut Milk. How to make almond milk
You may like to add some raw honey for sweetener. It's nutritional (anti-fungal, anti-bacterial etc) benefits outweigh the highly processed 'trendy' Agave Syrup

Wellness Warrior's Perfect Green Smoothie Guide

There are lots of pics of my boys drinking smoothies on my Instagram, check it out or follow me by clicking the right hand side of the blog :)

* Obviously be aware of allergies. As always, I stress that I am not an expert/ a naturopath, these recipe's are simply my personal choices. (Warning: never give Honey to a child under 1 years old, it may contain the spores of a bacteria germ causing infant botulism/food poisoning)

'Cococoon' We picked these up in Dunsborough