NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

The Pink Palace!
So I'm back from Memphis, with over 400 photos and bags and bags of thrifted goodies! I'll be photographing and posting the items I got from Memphis in the coming week or so but for now I wanted to share some pictures taken at the Pink Palace museum in Memphis. It's called the Pink Palace because it's a pink granite mansion once owned by the founder of the Piggy Wiggly chain of grocery stores. It's supposed to be a natural history museum (and the ground floor has the usual dinosaur, reptile and rodent bones) but it also has 'artifacts' of cultural history like toys, medical instruments and best of all, vignettes of "The Changing Roles of Women." This exhibit showcased constructed rooms from the 1920s through the 1950s. Photos are below! I couldn't quite date the kitchen... I thought it was 1950s but the refrigerator makes me think it's earlier.

Can you imagine getting your hair permed using this contraption? It resembles a Medieval torture instrument and/or looks like a mechanical Medusa head. Judging from the style of the clothing I think this perming machine is from the 1940s.

An equally frightening "exercise" machine from the 1940s that looks like you're strapped to a conveyor belt. Does anyone else remember an episode of I Love Lucy where she used one of these things to lose weight in order to wear a dress?

Vignette of what looks to be a 1940s kitchen... I really want that stove!

An early refrigerator... originally I thought this was an icebox but I now realized that's a motor on top of the box.

A kitchen cabinet with lots of 1940s consumer goodies.

Closeup of that amazing stove.

Look at all those green-handled utensils! And that amazing toaster!

1920s typist/receptionist in her office. I want her shoes.

1920s filing cabinets and typewriter (?).

1920s bakelite phone.