NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Mad About Plaid!
Plaid keeps popping up in my warddrobe over the years, it has evolved from long-sleeved flannel shirts & tiny pleated "school girl" skirts in the mid 1990s to vintage fitted dresses that I currently pair with tight & heels. Although I always feel a little precious & a bit like a private school girl when wearing plaid, it has a slightly retro, very geek-chic vibe that really appeals to me. In the past year I've picked up 2 plaid shirts & 3 dresses at various thrift stores and have noticed on the street & on the Web that other 'grownups' are still incorporating this schoolgirl classic into their warddrobe.

Playing up the nerdy vibe with my vintage glasses & tin globe.

Black tie belt-- Borrowed from a '70s tunic dress
Plaid dress (1960s?)--Salvation Army, Chicago
1950s glasses-- Etsy
T-straps-- The Ark, Chicago
Globe Bank-- Garage Sale, Ukrainian Village

Vintage eyeglass frames, gold scarf clip worn as a pin and closeup of the dress collar.

Another blue/yellow plaid dress... this one is older (1950s) and is actually more flattering to my hourglass figure than the above dress. I found it last winter at Cheap Thrills in my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas. This picture was taken in front of a re-creation of a Piggly Wiggly grocery store at the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis.

Plaid bag that I think is supposed to be a lunchbox? I found it at the Buffalo Exchange in Wicker Park. Not sure how old the little tin globe bank is... I got it last summer at a garage sale in my neighborhood.

A little plaid coin purse with a plastic inset of a landscape photo/scene. I imagine this is a retro souvenir... I got this for 50 cents at the Lakeview Brown Elephant.

Below are some outfit photos of some Wardrobe Remix girls rocking plaid.

Anja Louise Verdugo looks sophisticated yet softly feminine in a knee-length plaid skirt in subtle colours that pairs well with the lacy top & a gorgeous little cardigan with floral details.I love the green loafers & buttery soft leather bag... lot of texture going on in this outfit.

Vintage Chica proclaims "Plaid is Rad!" in a slim-fitting skirt and a daring combo of bright blue tights & darling red shoes. She's also able to make the '40s/'50s hat look very contemporary.

Stellardolly's balances a pleated high-waisted plaid skirt with a scarf tied into the sweetest bow and modernizes the '50s vibe with the 3-strap Mary Janes.

Last of all is Urban Outfitter's retro-style plaid bathing suit. I have a strange love/hate relationship with UO... they pretty much rip off vintage styles & everything there is exorbitantly overpriced but some of their items are extremely tempting, especially items like this suit that would be difficult to find in good condition at an antique or thrift store (I also am not sure I could wear a secondhand bathing suit).