NYC Style Spot   +  urban outfitters

The Magic Fabric
My sister is a size 6. I am a size 18. Every once in a while we can actually share clothing. Impossible, you say? You are wrong, my dear...it is very, very possible, all because of the most amazing fabric to ever grace the market: jersey knit. Jersey knit dresses and tops seriously break every law of sizing known to mankind. Thought you were an XL? Wrong! Slip on that medium and watch magic happen as it hugs your curves in the right places, while still flowing over those hips and creating the most flattering of silhouettes. For example, I have a (size medium) jersey knit dress that I bought back when I was 160 lbs. Fifty pounds later and I'm still rockin' it. And don't fret, I promise I am not one of those delusional fat girls who walks around and thinks something fits when it doesn't. I only wish I had pictorial proof, but ya just gotta trust me on this one. Now I'm not telling you to go grab every extra small jersey knit item you can find; what I am saying is that you shouldn't discount that cute top just because it's marked Large and not 3X. There is a good chance it might fit, especially if it has the extra bonus of an elastic waistband.

I have been shopping at my size for long enough to have perfected the art of walking into a straight-sized store and knowing at first glance whether or not something will stretch to fit me without looking strained. In case your eye hasn't been trained yet, I've provided some examples of non-plus size things that someone my size can probably fit. But seriously, if nothing else, remember this: elastic waistband+jersey knit=99% fail proof.

Everything below can be purchased on the Urban Outfitters website.

See the similarities between those four items? Stretch, fabric, general drapey-ness? Okay, I think you get the point. Obviously this doesn't apply to all cuts and fabrics--once you get into more structured pieces, forget about it. But when it comes to knit, at the very least, don't be afraid to try it on! You might just be surprised.