NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Rediscovered Treasures
On my trip back home to my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas for the holidays I was fortunate enough to find some vintage goodies that had been languishing, forgotten, in my childhood bedroom.

As a pre-teen I was fascinated with the Victorian Era through the 1950s. Accordingly, I collected makeup compacts and little beaded handbags from that time period and was lucky enough to find them cheaply at local antique malls & also received pieces from my aunt, grandmother and elderly Sunday school teacher.

Over the years my tastes changed, so these items were put away in drawers and boxes. While I now tend to favor more colorful and eclectic pieces from the 1950s-70s, I still have a fondness for these older accessories and brought a few back to Chicago with me.

Wooden box purse lined in leather. I have no idea how old this is... I imagine they sold the 'blank' purse forms and women used to decorate them as the flowers are collaged on and there is a signature on the corner of the purse lid. This was a gift from my second cousin who used to run an estate sale business in the 1990s.

Sterling silver Art Deco mirror which was also a gift from my cousin.

A very special enamel compact and beaded handbag from the late 1930s/early 1940s... my grandfather won these for my grandmother from one of those claw prize machine games.

My favorite compact... it's a Plate trio-ette from 1946 and is made out of celluloid. It's very rare and in good condition would be worth around $200. Unfortunately it's missing the lipstick that comes in the base and one of the hinges is damaged but seeing as I got it for only $5 back in 1995 it's not that big of a deal!

Benefit Cosmetics re-issued a similar compact a few years ago... does anyone know if they still sell them? If so, what name would they be under??

Fancy little paper jewelry box & a 1950s(?) rhinestone Christmas deer pin. Both were a gift from my cousin.

Top of that jewelry box... love the little flowers on it.

Not sure where I got this beaded bag from... possibly from my aunt.

A 1920s flapper girl that is most likely a pin cushion (you put the pins in her skirt). She was a gift from my Sunday school teacher, Ina Tiesler, who had no children so bestowed vintage goodies on me for holiday and birthday gifts.

What are some of your favorite rediscovered treasures?