NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Pep Talk
The two outer images are from dorothyperkins.com (sizes up to UK 22), the two inner are from asos.com (sizes up to UK 20)

Peplum dresses and skirts are one my favorite trends of Spring 09. I've loved them for a while, but I have yet to see one on a fat girl. I know, I know, adding ruffles to one's midsection probably isn't considered flattering, but I really want to know what this shape looks like on a plus size body. In fact, I've wanted to know so badly, I recently attempted to squeeze into an amazing [size 14] floral peplum dress at Salvation Army. Let's just say that ended in ripped seams and shattered dreams.
I first noticed the dresses appearing on UK online stores a few months ago, and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Torrid got on board with the trend. Too bad, as usual, they're not exactly fashion forward:They aren't terrible by any means, it's just that the ones offered by asos, etc. are so much cuter. Still though, I am hoping the fact that Torrid has a few means that more are on the way. (Which reminds me, Faith21 has been adding new items to their online store everyday. Still not impressed.)
I have this great floral bodycon dress (reminiscent of Kelly Kapowski) that I can't wait to break out this Spring. I've already tried to create my own "peplum" version of it by adding a short ruffled skirt over top; I'll debut the results here soon. In the mean time, if any of you have tried this trend, be sure to comment! I'm excited to see this look on other fab fatties.