NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

The Runway
I need to preface this post by saying this: Full Figured Fashion Week was great. I met some seriously wonderful people, I was inspired by beautiful women, and I got introduced to new designers. However, while I watched the finale fashion show, I found myself so in awe of the gorgeous women on the runway that I soon realized I was clapping for the girls and not the clothes. I quickly had to snap out of it and ask myself: "Would these designs be good enough for Fashion Week at Bryant Park? Am I lowering my standards just because this fashion is for fat women?"

The answer was yes. Most of the lines featured during the finale show consisted of the same dresses we see all the time for plus sizes. Nice? Yes. Innovative? Not so much. Runway shows are supposed to blow us away, they are supposed to show us something we have never seen before, they are supposed to inspire and amaze us. I can't say that was necessarily true for the lines featured during FFFWeek. Seriously, how many flowy chiffon and satin dresses can we see before we get sick of them? They're nice and all, but I like a little variety in my closet. That being said, I respect the fact that FFFWeek even exists and I hope that the event only improves with time.

The show began with Ashley Stewart's line, which impressed me considering what I'd previously seen in-store. The prints were gorgeous, and I was pleasantly surprised with how fresh, flirty and fun the dresses were. The clothing fit the models perfectly, the line was cohesive, and the quality and construction of the garments were impeccable.Next up was the line Candi Apple Couture, which I hadn't heard of before FFFWeek. I thought there were some hits and misses, but I was moderately happy with most of the items shown (my favorites are below):I have to say, I was seriously disappointed when I saw the fashion from Agape Goddess Wear. I mean, granted, I'm probably not their target demographic, but I didn't see one thing I liked or would wear. The designs looked amateur, the construction was poor, and the line was not cohesive.Osun Designs, on the other hand, offered a cultural line while still managing to stay current and somewhat fashionable. Again, I probably wouldn't wear the designs, but I appreciate the aesthetic. That yellow and brown jumpsuit is kind of fly.If there is one designer who gets it right, it's Monif C. Seeing her line in person solidified why she's made it mainstream. The construction and quality of her clothing is seriously perfect, and I loved the purple floral mini.For me, the most refreshing line of the night came from LaMaica Fashions. We got a break from the flowy stuff and finally saw some structured pieces, high collars, and fun hats.Qristyl Frazier also had a few gems. I loved the prints she chose, and she offered some cute jumpsuits to mix things up. The mint and cream maxi was my favorite look of hers:Sealed With A Kiss (SWAK) Designs offered their usual fun stuff. Lots of jersey knits and accessible, easy to wear outfits.Big Girls United (BGU) offered a lot of body con dresses (which I'm into right now), and some good options for younger girls who like to party.Robert E. Knight's line lacked cohesion, but he had a few things I liked. My favorite was the tan dress with the oversized sleeves.Jewel Shannon Designs closed the show, and I gotta say, it was a great way to end. Tons of white, sparkly swim and resort wear that was perfectly constructed. I could definitely see myself in some of these pieces on the beach.All photo credit goes to Richard Lew Photography. Check out his site to see all of the pieces that hit the runway (and photos from other events during FFFWeek).

There were some cute things, but overall, a little underwhelming. I'm still waiting for the day when plus size fashion will finally see a designer like Marc Jacobs or Zac Posen. What do you guys think? Fab or drab? What's your favorite?

Oh, and for all you Aussies, supposedly FFFWeek is coming your way soon!