NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Sunday Stroll: Modern Vintage Holiday Market
Yesterday I tagged along with my friend Albert to the Vintage Modern Holiday Market, organized by the folks who sponsor the Randolph Street Market every summer here in Chicago. Albert, who sells vintage vernacular photography online and co-owns a vintage-centric stationery line called The Found, was a vendor at the market. I'm posing in his booth above-- you can see a little of his merchandise behind me (yes those are Mugshot cards!).

Overall I was surprised at the range of prices available at the market, many vendors offered lower priced options along with their higher-end merchandise. Bargains that could be had for under $10 included jars of buttons, 1950s costume jewelry (rhinestone brooches and multi-strand beaded necklaces ala Betty Draper) and Shiny Brite ornaments still mint in the box. On Sunday, the second day of the sale, dealers were also willing to haggle, often knocking off money from my total without even having to ask.

Jewelry and Christmas items definitely dominated the market, also available were clothing and accessories (purses, hats, gloves, glasses), lamps, luggage, paintings and prints, vernacular photos and a few furniture pieces (industrial metal and Midcentury Modern).

I'd always assumed that the majority of the vendors were from the Chicagoland area but upon chatting with several I learned that they hailed from further afield-- Minneapolis, Iowa, Michigan. They also pointed to differences in the vintage culture of Chicago versus their hometowns-- most of their inventory comes from farm auctions, garage sales and seasonal markets rather than estate sales or thrift stores. What sells well at home doesn't necessarily sell well in the windy city-- rustic items and Victoriana are big sellers in Iowa while newer items from the 1940s-1970s do better here.

Below are some photos I took at the market but look for interviews I did with Albert and another vendor this week (including photos of what they were selling!).This little chihuahua caught my attention as she was wearing her own mink collar adorned with an old rhinestone pin. One of the vendors was selling dog collars made from recycled fur coats (now I regret not getting her name.)For another look at the Vintage Modern Market, check out fellow Chicago thriftaholic, Alexander Salvage's blog. It's interesting to see how different our photos are and what we were attracted to... I'd describe her style as Industrial Chic meets New Antiquarian with a dash of 19th Century Gentleman Scientist.