NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

All Aboard: Homewood Train Station Shoot
Part 2 of my adventure to the South Suburb of Homewood, IL. Last week I took you on a virtual tour of the quaint downtown area... now I'm posting a few of my finds from the estate sale I went to there-- I took pictures at the train (Metra--our regional rail system) station. I'd missed the outbound train to Chicago by 5 minutes so I had an hour to kill until the next train. Since the station was completely empty and it was a sunny afternoon I decided to do a little impromptu photo shoot with the items I had just bought!The empty waiting room, take note of the exposed roof beams and the arched windows.An old Valentine candy box dug out of the basement at the estate sale. I love finding these-- it's amazing they've lasted decades and it's a little sad that they've been kept so long by someone just to be discarded. This was one was rather elaborate as it has a plastic orchid & satin bow on the front. The candy box again with a long strand of heavy glass pearls with a rhinestone clasp.A cute felt hat with a rhinestone decoration and ribbon... not sure if it originally came with those decorations or were added on by a crafty owner. This was found at a little thrift store I stumbled upon in Homewood.Tiny Made in Japan ceramics (they're just under 2 inches tall), the little watering can will join a vase and teapot that I have on my dresser.This pretty little dresser mirror has a ceramic base with a rose painted on it-- I think the little tray area is meant for hair pins? Also, a long 'pearl' and 'emerald' necklace probably from the '60s or '70s.A group of vernacular photos found in a huge box at the estate sale... the one on the left is metal and is an early photo booth image, the oval images is a compact mirror and the two hand colored images are a present for my friend Albert.A closeup of the two photos above. Will have to scan these at some point, only had my point & shoot camera that day.The coffee mug is a birthday present for my mom (her name is Connie) and I love the colors and pattern of the little vinyl purse.

My favorite item found at the sale is a 1940s WWII-era silk parachute... it's small, on a metal frame and has a weight attached to it. Does anyone know anything about this style of parachute? I don't have a picture of it and have been having trouble doing research on it. It seems odd that it would have a weight... maybe it was later altered? Hrm. A vintage mystery.