NYC Style Spot   +  vintage

All Things I Love Retro

I'm lying in bed as my back reminded me today that I cannot always be Wonder Woman. As a result, you are getting a long post today, my dears.

If there is a style I love, that is everything retro. Am I retro gal? not entirely, but lately I have began wearing eye-liner in a very retro way, for instance. Although childhood was in the 80s, I always believed my teenage years should have occurred in the late sixties, early seventies. A comeback trend, flared jeans, I have never ceased to wear, and I always lusted after Dita Von Teese's hairstyle.

Being retro can become an entire lifestyle. It can mean be limited to dressing and styling your hair in a vintage manner, but it can also extend to having your home full of retro furniture, vintage music players, etc. You are retro if you drive an old motor, beautifully restored or not, and refuse to sit behind the wheel of anything produced after the 80s.

You can be a real old-school retro and reach far back into the last century to choose your style, or wear outrageous shoulder-pads and listen to Dead Or Alive on repeat. However, in terms of dressing, I personally favour those inspired in the 50s and 60s. So let me tell you what I like about this style and where to find these things I love. This is a fun post.

I love Mad Men. Words cannot describe how much I love January Jones (pictured below). I've only started watching the show and I'm not really into the actual story yet. I just enjoy watching it for the clothes, the expressions characters use (loving "swell" so much I'm wondering whether I could pull it off), the sets, the props, etc.

I also love this girl's take on retro fashion - Retro Chick is by far my favourite blogger. Her site is full with fun hair tutorials I really must attempt. She reviews some interesting places to hunt for anything vintage, and to top it all, she has a great ebay store with is worth checking
out.

I love old phones like the one below. This gorgeous little piece can be found at a great online store I recently discovered, Notorious Kitsch. Their catalogue is quite impressive - mugs, purses, posters, stationary, vintage phones, shower curtains (either someone buys this one or I will) ... need I go on?

I love the look of retro sweets. Funnily enough, my fondest sugar-related childhood memories have me holding a 99 Flake ice cream, not stuffing myself with sweets. However I am now a pretty good cupcake baker, and love to visit old school sweet shops just to browse. One shop to find some great retro sweets in Belgium, Holland, France and even Germany is Hema. Otherwise, there are countless online stores to find real childhood memories, such as A Quarter Of, or Chewbz.

And we end with one of my favourite pieces of retro love, and a fond childhood memory - Madonna's 1986 True Blue video (yes, I'm a Madonna fan, but it really doesn't show much, does it?