NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

1970s Summer Festival Style (Updated for 2010)
Summer SeparatesThis is the other skirt that I bought at the private vintage sale in Wicker Park, it too was $5. It's probably from the 1970s and is made from soft cotton. Upon closer inspection I realized it was handmade-- it seems like it might have been someone's home ec. project (am I the only one on here who took home ec. in jr high? Yes, I went to school in the South). Anyways, it's a wrap style so ties in the front and the creator also drew on the design of the flowers and butterfly and hand embroidered it! Pretty amazing.

I felt like I should be going to some groovy outdoor music festival in this outfit-- the leather saddle bag is also from the 1970s and I picked a fresh daisy as an 'accessory.' While I have several little leather bags in this style (including a couple vintage Coach purses and a Dooney & Bourke), this might be the best one! It's pretty beat up but is still sturdy and surprisingly roomy inside. I dug it out of a box of purses in a dusty, HOT attic a week ago at the 2nd day of an estate sale where I didn't think I would find anything. Best of all it was $1!

The above photo was taken by my friend Albert after we ate lunch at Birchwood Kitchen last week.Vintage SummerA closeup of the purse & my gold flecked 1950s Cat eye sunglasses-- Albert called them my "1950s Cruise" look. They're pretty over the top but I love them. Of course I bought them on my L.A. trip, which definitely seemed appropriate.Summer sandwichMy lunch at Birchwood Kitchen, their yummy version of the classic turkey club sandwich.Daisy & SaddlebagThe daisy I picked out of someone's yard (oops!) on my walk to Birchwood Kitchen. I found this little section of alley where the contemporary asphalt had worn away to reveal the old brick underneath.Watermelon Shaved IceLater in the day I made my way over to Pilsen for the closing night of a former classmate's gallery show. Of course I sought out some watermelon ice to eat beforehand-- I've been obsessed with Mexican paletas (popsicles) lately and this was the next best thing. Maybe even better as it doesn't drip everywhere! You can also see the embroidery on the skirt here better.

Outfit Details:
Vintage handmade wrap skirt (embroidered with butterflies and flowers)-- Private vintage sale, $5

1950s gold cateye sunglasses- Echo Park Vintage store

1970s leather saddle bag-- Dug out of a dusty attic, $1

Gray t-shirt: Target sleep section

Black sandals-- A Wisconsin discount store