NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

Beauty Bites We're Loving

Today is one of those days where "overwhelmed" seems to be the only word I can think of. It all stems from having a lot to do but feeling hardly energised to accomplish anything. The start of the new season does this to me every year. My energy levels plummet, I feel extremely sleepy and I just know it: the colder months are about to hit us. I need colour and freshness to keep me awake.

One thing I have found does brighten up my days is marveling at certain colourful little things that pass my way. Such tiny bites of happiness come sometimes in gorgeous wrappings, as birthday gifts, or in sparkly imaginary hearts - as in what would pop out of my head if I were a cartoon character - as presents to myself.

For instance, last week I treated myself to No7's Matte Top Coat. Believe the hype, a wonder wee product, makes any nail varnish lose its traditional shine and appear completely matte. It takes seconds to work, dries fast and goes well with in-season shades such as grey. Put it this way: it's a fun way to experiment with different colours and it saves you having to buy new nail varnishes. In this economy this can only be good.

On the subject of make up, I have finally perfected the winged eyeliner effect. I say finally as, lacking a steady hand, it has taken me a good while, a lot of trial and error, and endless YouTube tutorials, to achieve the desired effect. This is the look at its most discreet, see below.

See? I am getting there, at least for the day look which has been a subtle one during the summer. For the colder nights ahead I intend to work on a heavier and more dramatic line, but that will take me some practice and will probably be the subject of a future post. I wanted to try out

Time to leave you, my darlings, with something I am coveting - a bold pink shade, almost fuchsia, for my lips. I fell in love with one my sister had, which she only let me use to prove how good it would look on me, and then cruelly take it away from my trembling hands... I swear it happened like that ;)

To add more drama to the situation, I dragged my cousin through London to find said lipstick... there were making them no more. Topshop has one in a similar shade, but the format of the lippy makes me doubtful. The search continues...

Pictures: Katy Perry, Boots, Fashion Limbo