NYC Style Spot   +  Indian Fashion Blog

Blogger Inspiration: LahLah is Here
Here is Esther Fanai of the handsome and witty blog; LahLah is Here. Esther talks to us about her blog, her style stolen from her Dad's closet and the streets of Harajuka, and her inspiration A-Booming! :)

I am a little overwhelmed here, with the reference to 'the blog' ..my blog, the familiar question I get shot at many times over because it always takes me back to the beginning. The beginning where I was hesitant, more than conscious to start this, though what has ensued from this little endeavour has been amazing, tummy jiggling. I even got my little own illustration done for me by one of my readers..that was bloody cool, I was stoked. As a kid, I loved my Dad's closet and that is where I got my love for all things navy or grey. Thats where it all started, and as a kid who loved her Dad's closet, fashion has been so exciting with the masculine trend, or the minimalist trend because everything became newly familiar..the boyfriend jacket, the shirt etc. It was like seeing your Dad's closet in a whole new way. The last 2-3 years have been such an interesting time in fashion, it was so natural for me to jump on the bandwagon. So, yes I hopped aboard. And I still consider myself an amateur blogger.
And my style?? Thats always the difficult part. Hmm..definitely more refined, with time. I believe you have to be very clear about what you like, not for the sake of it being on trend. I look at colour palette and proportion mainly, get quizzical about how I'd form that perfect union in one whole outfit. Thats my favourite part. And its like mixing Lanvin or Celine with cute, cartoony baubles like the stuff you see on Japanese streets. Incorporating what you love, bringing a whole new aesthetic into what you wear. Seeing colour and shapes in a whole new way, it runs that deep for me. All of us have been inspired by say, western wear, 'Americana' so yes, I love my grey tees and my denim and with something as casual  and simple like this, I would love to fuse them with the grandeur and exuberance of baroque fashion that has been a major source of inspiration for major fashion designers. Countering.. I love that. So yes, my love for fashion is not just little girl gushing blatant, monotonous lines about how 'sexy' the dress is or how 'super cute' the skirt is and I would never add 'shopping' to my interests, it is so much more than that.
Inspiration...wow. Its definitely A-BOOMING! :D Its mind boggling. Street blogs have been amazing, getting basic ideas about how people wear a certain dress, or individually interpret trends. Photography, movies..Tim Burton... editorails, architecture, anime, graphitti artwork, illustrators like Craig McCracken responsible for the Powerpuff Girls.Then you can look up to designers for major fashion beef like Alber Elbaz, Miuccia Prada, Viktor&Rolf.. Their vision is whats extraordinary, its overwhelming I have to catch my breath at times. Its endless, it gets nauseating!
Trends she's distilling at the moment:Minimalism trend. Its stark and provocative in an alluring way.Nude colour boom? Can I call it that?Camel coats. Boxy jackets. I'm eagerly waiting for fall.
Doesn't it seem to you too she may well be the Alexa Chung of Indian Fashion? Same sartorial spirit with her nonchalant menswear inspired outfits, her penny loafers, her boxy bags, her playful mishmash of casual and high fashion, and that adorable granny chic vibe Esther and Alexa share so well!