NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Pumpkin Patch & Petting a Giraffe!
Picking out my Halloween pumpkin!Despite growing up in a more rural state (Arkansas), I'd never been to an apple orchard or pumpkin patch before though my family definitely attended fruit-centric seasonal festivals like the Tontitown Grape Festival and the Apple Festival. Unfortunately we missed apple picking season here in Illinois by about a week so instead my we went to a pumpkin patch on Halloween weekend. It was pretty amusing-- a bunch of 'grown ups' in their mid to late 20s frolicking around Goebberts Pumpkin Farm like we were 5 years old!Mini Pumpkins!!!We had to drive an hour outside the city to go to South Barrington to a farm that my co-worker suggested. It had everything we were looking for-- pumpkins priced by the pound, a corn maze and apple cider DOUGHNUTS.Pumpkin HugsThere were also lots of odd sculptures to climb on or take pictures with, we all got pretty snap-happy. Above I'm hugging a giant pumpkin with my roommate Adeline.Giraffe at the Pumpkin PatchThe farm has a petting zoo and it didn't have just the usual animals (goats, bunnies) but also had more 'exotic' animals like giraffes, camels, llamas, deer and a cartoon-like Indian cow. Best of all was the GIRAFFE that we could pet & feed. Its tongue felt like a wet bristle brush on my hand and it was surprising how laidback she was around people.Baby Giraffe at the Pumpkin PatchCutest Cow ever at the Pumpkin PatchWe couldn't stop petting this cow, I'm not sure if it was the shape of her eyes or her diminutive stature but she seemed right out of an illustrated children's book.Bambi!Why is it whenever I see deer I have to shout 'Bambi!'? We cleverly figured out that the deer liked our cameras so when we wanted to pose with them we held the cameras out to them (one of the deer is actually licking my Canon Elph above).DeerSitting in my ThroneThe chair reminded me of Ripley's Believe it or Not, it would have comfortably fit 3 adults! I felt rather majestic sitting in it, like Queen of the Pumpkin Farm. My outfit was a bit prim for the farm (guess I've turned into a city slicker)-- I wanted to wear my 1950s yellow wool swing coat that I bought at the Salvation Army over the summer for $3. Yes $3! It's worn over a tan raw silk dress from the 1960s and a brown felt 1950s hat that is quintessential autumn-- it has little beaded leaves around the edges of it. I'll have to take a better picture of it sometime soon!