NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

A man's rant - The leopard print conumdrum

What is it with men and leopard print?

Is it in their genes? are they secretly allergic to the pattern but scared to admit it just in case we use it against them and take over the world?

Just a couple of male opinions on the subject:

“Although people should be allowed to wear whatever they choose, leopard print for some reason irks me. I think its simply a question of image association. Every time i see someone wearing leopard print I instantly have visions of Rose Bucket of "Keeping Up Appearances"... or films in the 80s or 90s that often portrayed street-walkers as wearing the old high heels and puffy leopard print fur coats. I fight those visions when my girlfriend wears these things, but its just one of those Pavlovian reflexes that has been drilled into me!” Rob, 31, Brussels

“It says “trashy” to me. I associate it with b*tchy, snobbish or “new rich” characters. It’s Hollywood’s fault really” Mike, 27, Madrid

Good things come to those who wait. Spent ages lusting after these shoes, and found them greatly reduced at the Zara sales

I think we will just leave it at that - trashy, cheap looking and so on. The truth is, I love it, but only when done well. For example I was almost completely put off while visiting a certain Spanish town - and I won't "name and shame"- but those ladies need help.

The truth is, leopard print needs to be done with copious amounts of savoir-faire, for example:

The leopard print coat/jacket
- better with a “good hair day” and nice make up. Nothing says “trashy” better than a leopard print combined with badly applied cheap flashy lipstick, or pearls, greasy hair, or anything close to being “too much”. If it seems excessive, it is: remove, remove, remove.

Leopard over leopard
- the very tricky combination, that is best left to the most courageous full-time fashionistas. I personally avoid it. Too many busy prints will make me shorter, and with my petite frame it is an avoidable look. Tall and leggy girls may pull it off, but it’s not easy to imitate.

Leopard with everything else
- it says effortless cool with flower prints, it lightens up an “all black” look. If you want to do leopard but are afraid of the cliches mentioned above, start with a pair of shoes, or a pretty purse.

Not happy with the boots (New Look) but the heavy rain outside called for them.
Dress and cardie by H&M
Belt: vintage by T2 Antwerp
Brooch: Mockinghorse

Brooch by Mockinghorse

So while many men seem to hate one of our style favourites, always remember: It could be worse. Your man could be one of those guys with a penchant for leopard-print skin-tight underwear, need I say more?

My name is Jessie and I'm the proud owner of a leopard print coat, a pair of shoes, some cardigans, a robe and some jewelry. Are you a lover or a hater?

Pictures: Fashion Limbo