NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

A Question of Male Style - Introducing Arash Mazinani

There is one thing I don't do often enough: write about men's fashion. So, in an attempt to be more fair, this is a very special post for all of you guys out there visiting my blog on a regular basis.

I want to introduce you all to Arash Mazinani (pictured above). A personal stylist and blogger, one of the few male fashion bloggers that actually write about women’s fashion as well as men's. His site is sleek, very informative and extremely well documented. His writing and style advice is right-to-the-point, no nonsense, direct and ever so refreshing.

So, ready to learn a bit about style, my beloved male readers? Let's have Arash answer some questions:

Men and fashion, it’s an “uneasy” relationship, why?

I think a lot guys aren’t bothered about fashion because society does not really encourage men to embrace it. Quite often ‘fashion’ is consider a female interest so guys don’t really take any notice of it from fear of being judged. These are sweeping generalisations however, there are guys out there who do enjoy fashion. I’d imagine as a selection of men get older and they’re less worried about what people think they start to take a bit more of an interest in what they wear. This is how it worked for myself at least.

What sparked your own interest in fashion?

It’s hard to say really, my mum has always been interested in fashion and when I was growing up aimed to be quite stylish. But I think the real point was when I started going out to bars and clubs. I needed to smarten up my appearance if I wanted to get into swanky places because that’s where all the attractive girls were.

When it came to women’s fashion that really start years later when I got a job working at Harvey Nichols. I joined as a Christmas temp thinking I was going to be working on the casual floor. I actually ended up working on the high end floor that was filled with £3000 dresses from designers like Lanvin and Dolce & Gabbana. It ended up being an education.

Harvey Nichols in Leeds - full of pretty, pretty things

Do you feel there are enough brands in the high street to cater for men?

Not really, when you consider how many different places women can go to get clothes it just doesn’t compare. But sometimes I think if I was a girl they’d probably be too much choice. Too much choice can sometimes be a bad thing.

What are the basic brands any man should consider?

I would never really recommend a brand as a whole maybe certain pieces from a brand depending on the individual and their budget. I’d always recommend that you buy the best quality garments you can afford. Whenever I buy something I’d be looking at type of fabric and the quality of item before the name.

What do you think about men that let their girlfriends/wives/sisters choose their clothes? Which leads me to ask, how much influence does your girlfriend have in what you wear?

I’d like to encourage independent thinking, I think a guy should really dress for himself, wear clothes that make him feel good. It’s a touchy subject getting your girlfriend to dress you. I think it’s a good place to start, but ultimately I think a guy should wear clothes because he wants to wear them and they make him feel good, rather than his girlfriend told him to.

My own girlfriend has small influence on what I wear. There are things in my wardrobe that she hates that I still wear. Generally though when I go shopping I’d go by myself so I pick out clothes on my own. I’ll always ask her opinion though because I trust it just to make sure the fit or colour is right.

A great example of a classic: John Varvatos Richard Oxford - we're sure Arash would approve

In the stylish man’s wardrobe, what are the basic pieces that must not miss?

I’d say a good pair of shoes that have been well polished. A well fitted pair of dark denim jeans. A good fitting white shirt. A navy or black blazer. A selection of well fitted t shirts and also V neck jumpers in colours of your choice. I think that’s a solid base to build up wardrobe.

What are the most common mistakes men make?

Socks with sandals, ha ha only joking I posted a list on my blog of 15 common style mistakes men make there were quite a few on there. I think the biggest which can make the world of difference is not getting the fit right.

In terms of menswear, what item should be eradicated from the face of the Earth?

Sandals, I think it’s just me but men shouldn’t get their feet out unless on the beach. There are other summer shoe options like boat shoes that are much better and stylish.

Thanks Arash for answering my questions. To visit Arash's site click here.

Pictures: Arash Mazinani, Harvey Nichols, John Varvatos