NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

My Collections: Nesting Dolls & Dala Horses
Me & Dala HorseCollections. If you're reading this blog it's likely you have at least one collection, either wearable (jewelry, clothing, purses, shoes), utilitarian (lamps, kitchenware, cameras) or artistic (prints, posters, books). My father is chiefly responsible for my collecting habits, he brought me to my first antique store at the age of 8 when we lived in Maui, Hawa'ii and I haven't looked back since. My first purchase? Two 1950s brooches, one in the shape of a mouse and the other a skeleton key, from that Maui store. My collecting tastes evolve as I grow older (I'll be 26 next month!) but several items remain constant. I'm always adding to my collections of lockets, handbags, hats, photobooths/snapshots and coffee mugs. Of course I also wear vintage every day so you can say that my biggest and most used collection is my dresses!
Each week I'll be photographing one of my collections to share with you. I was primarily inspired by Lisa Congdon's Collection a Day Project, it's amazing how such a simple idea has garnered so much attention-- she has a book coming out this Spring and was recently featured in the New York Times!
This week I'm sharing a small collection that I started when I moved to Chicago 3 1/2 years ago: Swedish Dala Horses and Russian Nesting Dolls (also called "Matryoshka".) Chicago has a rich immigrant history and includes areas densely populated with people of German, Russian, Polish, Swedish or Ukrainian descent. Currently I live in a neighborhood called the Ukrainian Village, it was here that I tried pierogi (yum) for the first time. Accordingly I've come across some of the mementos of these cultures while out vintage shopping, including my 2 favorites featured here.


Nesting DollsThus far I only have 6 nesting dolls, including an unusual Japanese kokeshi doll set that also has heads that bobble. What draws me to these pieces? Being handpainted, and in some cases handcarved, they speak of folk art traditions and are unique in that they have been crafted by an individual. They're also inexpensive and make for a whimsical touch in home decor, I haven't paid more than $8 for any of them.
Surprisingly nesting dolls have only been around since the late 1800s. If you're interested in finding out more about their history, there is a very thorough article on the Russian Crafts website.
Below is an outfit inspired by this collection. Scroll down for individual shots of each of the dolls.Peasant Dress I purchased this "Mexican Peasant" dress at Buffalo Exchange over 3 years ago to wear on my 23rd birthday. Despite being of Mexican providence I like to think of it as my Hansel & Gretel dress as the embroidery has some Eastern European/German flair to it.
Outfit Details:
1970s Embroidered Dress: Buffalo Exchange, ChicagoLeather Laceup Boots (1970s? 1990s?): Vintage shop in Wicker Park, ChicagoHuge 1950s floral purse: Garage Sale, ChicagoGreen Wool Grandpa Sweater: Thrifted in IndianaPewter Viking Ship Pendant: R. Tennesmed, Swedish Museum of Chicagodress2Yes this outfit was inappropriate for the weather (it's in the 30s again here)-- I definitely want to wear it again come summer to a garden or park and take more pictures!dress1Slightly awkward pose, I was freezing at this point!Me & Nesting DollThis is the largest doll in my collection and was found at a Chicago Salvation Army for $2. Unfortunately she has a large crack down her back but the dolls inside are in fair condition. Most of my dolls have been well loved so they have chips, cracks and dings. I just think it adds to their character and alludes to a former life.dollsPolish Nesting DollsThis set might be incomplete, it only has 3 dolls. Despite being made in Poland, the dolls look to be an Asian caricature/stereotype. I found them at an estate sale a few years ago.Doll FamilyThe most recent addition to the collection, she carries 8 babies in her belly! It's the Octomom of nesting dolls. I'm wondering why there is only one baby with a blue bonnet and the rest have orange or red bonnets, hrm.Russian Nesting DollsAnother estate sale find, the tiniest doll doesn't even have any features and is pretty much a sliver of wood.Kokeshi Nesting DollsCrossing cultures, this is Japan's version of the nesting doll. I found this set at a flea market in Lakeview.Small German HousesThese items aren't fullblown collections (yet!) but are what I call 'adjacent pieces' that compliment the nesting dolls. The lady on the left is actually a box, she lifts off to reveal a space big enough for rings. The two little houses are from the 1970s, are likely Christmas decorations and were found in 2 different places 3 years apart. The house on the right was one of my first thrift finds in Chicago, I unearthed it at the Brown Elephant in Oak Park.WindmillThe two ladies resemble the nesting dolls in shape and size and are also handpainted. Their size reminds me of Fisher Price people. The windmill snuck into this shot, it's a prelude to a future post about my Dutch collection.Dala HorsesDala horses! Tomorrow I'll post pictures of Albert & I posing with the giant Dala horse in Andersonville, Chicago's Swedish neighborhood. These little beauties have a long tradition in Sweden, they are primarily carved by one workshop (Nils Olsson) and each were carved and painted by skilled craftspeople (at least 9 people contribute to the creation of 1 horse). If purchased new, horses can be quite expensive, starting at $50 for the small horse shown. Fortunately I found the larger horse for $3 at a thrift store and the smaller for $10 at a yard sale in my neighborhood. The smaller horse seems to be newer as it still has its tag and has a shinier finish. In the future I hope to pick up horses in other colours, they are also made in blue, black and pink with red being the most traditional.