NYC Style Spot   +  vintage shops

Real Vintage or Fake Vintage?

It's been a quiet sunny morning. I admit I'm slightly irritable, or to be more exact, in a foul mood. I have a crazy neighbour next door that randomly shouts at her boyfriend at ludicrous night hours. This time it was before 6am, and I never managed to get back to sleep, so today I'm something between a zombie and Godzilla. Not too pretty.

I was having a quick look at Twitter, when lovey Sarah from Sarah's Scribbles directed me to this article in the Daily Mail. The article reports on the people behind Urban Outfitters launching a vintage-inspired bridal range and "vintage-look accessories, lingerie and jewellery". The sister brand will be called Bhldn (pronounced "beholden") and the dresses are vintage style, but not really vintage.

This approach puzzled me, Sarah, and the creator of Maggie Angus jewellery, Anna Evans, who also joined the conversation. We all agreed that the best part of vintage shopping is the hunt, the rummage. It's an experience in itself.

I may not be the most patient person in the world, and I do spend little time in vintage and second hand stores (in any store really!), but I do enjoy the quick look and when I find something, it is worth a lot to me. I know I have a unique and interesting piece that at times will cost me less than an H&M purchase, like this bag I recently found at Beyond Retro in Brighton.

The price tag is a great thing about vintage, as you can find real gems without spending a fortune. I believe it to be a great way to shop on a budget. Yesterday I told you about a bangle and a pretty jumper I bought this weekend. Both second hand, the price of the entire purchase? €11 (£9). The leather bag pictured above cost me £15 (€17). In New York I paid less than €3 (£2) for a glitzy top.

The cheaper dresses at Bhldn start at $200. The bridal gowns there will cost you something between $2000 and $4000, which is even more expensive than a lot of the priciest vintage designer-wear.

Is this just a new step in the evolution of the fast-fashion phenomenon? Is this what the public is demanding? Something that looks vintage but has simply been mass-produced? Food for thought.

What do you think? Do you enjoy buying vintage? What do you think of concepts like Bhldn?

UPDATE: Great minds think alike! Click here to read Sarah's Scribbles view on the topic and have a look at some pictures of the Bhldn collection.

Picture: Fashion Limbo