NYC Style Spot   +  spring

Farrah Fawcett Hair: 1970s Chic
70soutfitToday I had planned on doing a 1920s-style photo shoot; my hair stylist had other ideas, however, as she went overboard after cutting my hair and feathered my 'do into a look reminiscent of Farrah Fawcett. Instead of fighting it I instead built an outfit around my feathered hair. This red dress is one of my warddrobe staples, it's from the 1970s and can easily be dressed up or down depending on the accessories.charliesangels1970s style has been getting a lot of play on the runway lately but I've been wearing 1970s-era clothing for the past 3 years. Until I moved to Chicago I'd been a bit of a vintage snob and often passed up 1970s clothing and accessories in favor of 1940s-1960s attire. When thrifting here, however, I kept coming across wonderful dresses and leather accessories from the 1970s and over the years more and more kept creeping into my closet until it made up the bulk of my autumn and winter wardrobe.70soutfit2Why I like 1970s clothing: It is easier to find than 1950s clothing (my favorite era) and also looks more contemporary. While 1950s clothing emphasized extremes like a tiny waist and very full skirt, the 1970s also favored an hourglass silhouette but in a more relaxed, breezy way. There was an earthy feel to jewelry and accessories, examples include tooled leather handbags, chunky turquoise rings and feather earrings.
The downside: POLYESTER! I have no idea how people wore polyester suits before the days of air conditioning! Most of my 1970s clothing is made out of polyester, consequently I cannot wear it in the summer but it does keep me toasty in the autumn and winter. I also wear a cotton slip underneath my dresses to keep it away from my skin. Many of the 'tea party' style dresses are lighter as they're made of a more gauzy, sheer polyester and isn't as heavy. Generally I pass on maxi dresses made of polyester, anything with too huge/wide of a lapel and colours/patterns that look too dated. The goal is to look contemporary with a vintage vibe and not like I just walked out of The Brady Bunch or That 70s Show.70sduoOUTFIT DETAILS:
Calvin Klein leather boots: Buffalo Exchange, Chicago1970s Dress: Thrift Store in Memphis, TN (near Graceland!)1970s floppy hat: Millinery shop in downtown Los AngelesVintage Leather Belt: Brown Elephant, ChicagoBlack & White Bakelite Bangles: Thrifted, Chicago1970s Sunglasses: Antique Store, Chicago1970s Blue Sweater Coat: Salvation Army, Chicago1970s Leather Made in Morroco Saddle Bag: Buffalo Exchange, Chicago70ssunglassesbanglesI fancy that these bracelets are made of Bakelite, I haven't tested them yet (anyone have a fullproof method? I don't want to do the hot pin test).camerabagOne of my all time favorite finds, this leather saddle bag is a unique alternative to the school satchel style purses that are everywhere right now. I like that it's vertical rather than horizontally oriented as it doesn't bump people on the bus/El when it gets crowded (practical!)
The Polaroid camera is the largest I've ever come across (aptly named Big Shot), it was bought at ORD-RED's holiday sale last year. The Big Shot was meant specifically for portraiture and was produced between 1971 and 1973. It was purportedly a favor of artist Andy Warhol due to its quality.70scuTomorrow I'll be shooting more 1970s looks, "Disco Queen" and "Prairie". I'm not sure what I'd label this outfit, maybe Boho Traveler?