NYC Style Spot   +  Los Angeles

7 Factoids About Moi
springdalechickenWhile I'm always flattered when someone passes on a blogger award to me I always forget to do a post for it! This week I was tagged by the lovely Annalise of Hummingbird Girls for the 'Stylish Blogger' award and Kelly, a fellow Chicago thriftaholic, tagged me for the 'Versatile Blogger' award. Thank you ladies! Both awards required I share 7 tidbits about myself, so here goes:

1) I never know how to answer when someone asks me where I'm from-- currently I live in Chicago and have been here for the past four years. Here is my geographic history: Born in Orange, California. Moved to Maui, Hawa'ii when I was 4 so my dad could own an orchid plantation (he's a horticulturist/botanist). We moved to Fayetteville, Arkansas when I was 10 to be closer to my dad's side of the family including my grandma. I moved to Los Angeles to go to the University of Southern California (USC) and lived there from 2003-2007. In 2007 I moved to Chicago for graduate school. Where will I go next? Not sure but will be here in Chicago for at least another year! The photo above with me and the chicken was taken in Springdale, Arkansas, the next town over from Fayetteville.hawaiicollage2) My name "Leilani" is Hawaiian and translates to "heavenly flower" or alternately "royal child." Yes, 80 percent of the world mispronounces/misspells my name the first time they meet me; I've learned to live with it. No, I'm not Hawaiian but lived in Maui (as I mentioned above). My dad came up with the name, he knew someone named Leilani and liked the name; my mom wanted to name me "Candy Joy", glad we went with my dad's pick!gallery3) I've had a wide variety of jobs. At the age of 16 my first job was at TJ Maxx, yes we had to wear FUGLY maroon vests over our clothes back then. I mainly worked at the jewelry counter and the fitting room. Over the years I've worked at the Northwest Arkansas Mall at a local gift/toy shop, in the special collections library at USC, at a customer service desk in a dorm at USC, in a gallery in L.A.'s Chinatown arts district and as an editorial assistant at Citysearch.com. More recently I've been a photo history teaching assistant and a grading assistant in the art history department of my graduate school. Currently I'm working as a copywriter and editor and showing my art photography in galleries.huffpo4) I have appeared in the Huffington Post, they did a piece on me for the Mad Men contest last autumn. Sadly didn't win the contest but had fun anyways! Two people actually recognized me when I was in Evanston at a bakery. Felt kind of like a local celebrity.Sparkly "L" Necklace5) My last name is so unique only members of my family have it. It's German and family legend goes that the 'M' was transposed into a 'W' when my ancestors were going through Ellis Island (where immigrants used to go through in New York City as the first stop in the United States). As a "W" last name I frequently was LAST in line for everything throughout elementary school through high school. Also, my initials spell the word 'law' as my middle name is 'Alana'.beertrays6) Despite my affinity for dancing and parties, I didn't start drinking alcohol until the age of 21. I'm still not a big drinker but like a classic cocktail when out with friends-- despite living in the Midwest I do not like beer (yes I have tried all kinds). My parents did not have alcohol in the house until AFTER I left for college.cupcakes7) I used to be a food writer/restaurant critic for LAist.com. While I no longer write about food in a professional capacity anymore, I'm still the person my friends/co-workers ask for advice on the where to eat in the city. As background noise I usually have the Food Network playing in the background, I have been to 80 percent of the coffee shops and bakeries in the Chicago area and go to cafes at least three times a week. You can often find me reading and enjoying an iced vanilla latte at Filter Cafe in Wicker Park or Star Lounge in Ukrainian Village (my neighborhood), snagging a jelly doughnut at Bennison's bakery in Evanston or brunching at Milk & Honey (Ukrainian Village) or Birchwood Kitchen (Bucktown). Every time I travel I make it a point to try as many independent coffee shops and bakeries as possible!
Phew, hope that wasn't too boring-- it's always a little weird writing about oneself. I'm tagging the following 7 bloggers for the award (sorry if you've already done it)!
Emily of Livin' VintageDakota of Sweetheart of the RodeoTasha of By Gum, By Golly!Jessica of Wrinkled DollarZoe of Lion Heart VintageJust Another Wardrobe ExperienceThe Modern Day Flapper