NYC Style Spot   +  train

Choo Choo, All Aboard!
cabooseI've had a love affair with trains since childhood when I would accompany my father to his Model Railroad Club meetings every Saturday at the Maui Mall. His club had built an elaborate set in a storefront and all the members would bring their model trains to run on the tracks while they exchanged tidbits about their latest finds and the progress they'd made on their mini sets they had created in their basements or garage. In the days before the Internet (and vintage blogs!) this was the main way hobbyists passed on information and bonded with others that shared their passion. I remember my dad puttering around after work, painting tiny houses and landscaping the set we had in our garage with flocked trees and even a little pond with wee pebbles.
While technically I ride a train every day on my commute in Chicago, it's a subway and not a classic rail train. Whenever I go back to my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas I enjoy exploring the railyard in the neighboring town of Springdale. The Arkansas & Missouri railroad still runs through my town but there's no longer a station there, it has since been turned into a restaurant.
I've done several photo shoots at the railyard before so planned to do an outfit shoot there with my mom acting as photographer. We went about 40 minutes before sunset but it was still a bit bright for optimum photos.
After taking a few pictures two engineers walked out of the building and said that we wouldn't be allowed to take pictures near the active tracks! This was the FIRST time I'd ever see any people around the railyard, I didn't realize there was even a train that came through there anymore as part of the tracks are overgrown with grass and most of the cars seem to be out of commission. I was still determined to get pictures so we went across to street to an area that had a few parked passenger cars and a caboose (no engines sadly) and we were sure to stay away from the 'active rail' so they wouldn't yell at us. Consequently the shoot was a bit rushed but I hope you enjoy the photos anyways!train1I'm showing off some of my newest acquisitions found on the Philippines trip-- a pair of amazing sandals found for $4 (new) in a village specializing in the making of just shoes and a vintage leather satchel found in a thrift store there-- I'll be posting more about the spots I shopped in future posts.
OUTFIT DETAILS:
1960s cotton dress: Leah of Onomatopoeia Vintage (Indiana dealer who sells in Chicago)1960s sunglasses: Andersonville antique storeThrifted Leather Concha Belt: Buffalo Exchange, Wicker Park, ChicagoBlack Espadrilles: Liliw (a village that makes shoes!), Philippinespursecu1970s Samsonite flight attendant bag: Fayetteville, Arkansas garage sale1980s Capezio leather satchel: Thrift store in Batangas City, Philippines1970s scarf: The best garage sale that my mom & I went to years ago, bought 100 scarfs for $10!1950s silver charm bracelet: Gift from my cousin1970s (?) ring: Rosemont Flea Market, ChicagotrainwheelsRows and Rows of rusting train wheels, can you see why I thought this railyard was abandoned?cabooseduosittingarkansasmissourifieldbagsstepscaboose2grassytracksRail yards are popular places to shoot, check out Sally Jane Vintage's train shoot and Vintage Vixen's playful photos.
Do you have fond memories of trains? Share your experiences or photos here!
This week I'm also participating in the Thrifty Thursday Link Party over at Spunky Chateau. Check out everyone's fun outfits and finds.