NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Glamour Girl
Most of you who are long-time readers of my blog know that I'm a big fan of the "make it work" philosophy: I shop at straight size stores and find things that I can wear, regardless of whether it fits the way the designer intended it. When you're fat and stylish you have to be creative. Though the options are definitely getting better, I still refuse to limit myself to what's readily available for plus sizes because I'm not satisfied. For a long time, people told me I was only able to shop at straight size stores because I was an "inbetweenie," around a size 16. Forty pounds later, I'm a size 20/22, and I still bring my fat ass into H&M, TopShop, and wherever else I want. They may not make clothes to fit me, but they can't stop me from making their clothes fit me.
Recently, I was at Goodwill and came across a gorgeous silk dress with a jaw-dropping print. There was absolutely no way I was walking out of the store without it. It was a size 8, but I knew I would do whatever it took to make it work for me. When I got home, I cut the seams up the side, threw it over a pleated skirt, and put a belt around it. Voila! My favorite part about this dress is the contrasting cow-like print on the shoulders--such a small but perfect detail.
Dress-Thrifted/Skirt, Shoes, Sunnies-Forever21/Watch-Guess/Earrings-Fennimas
I am super honored to be featured in the August issue of Glamour Magazine (their denim issue) on newsstands now! I can't believe I'm along side some of my favorite bloggers--make sure you check it out if you can.Photo Credit: Mark Leibowitz
They provided the DKNY jeans, and I paired them with a top from Evans, my F21 jacket, and Bakers purple platforms.
Speaking of Glamour, they're looking for young women—age 25 or under—who are doing big things in their community. Tell 'em how you’re changing the world and you could be one of two lucky winners they’ll bring to Glamour’s Women of the Year Awards at New York City’s Carnegie Hall on November 7. Nominate yourself here. Good luck!