NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

When Pigs Fly
I am so not a maxi girl. At all. In fact, I have gone on record (okay, tumblr) saying I'd never be caught dead in one. So imagine my surprise when I saw a recent Evans photo shoot and it was a grey and black maxi dress that caught my eye! I think it had something to do with its semi-sheer fabric and lack of an empire waist. I still wasn't sure I was willing to take the plunge, but when Evans sent me a package that included the dress, I knew I had no excuse not to try it.

I think you all know by now that I'm into all things billowy and shapeless, but I swear if I hear one more person tell me that plus size girls need to show off their curves, I'm going to scream (especially when they're readers of my blog)! I know I've said it a million times, but apparently I will need to continue saying it until I'm blue in the face: I DO NOT CARE ABOUT FASHION "RULES." Yes, I'm into trends and mainstream stuff, but when it comes to "dressing for your body" or whatever, everything goes out the window. Nothing is off limits for me, whether I'm dressing myself or styling a plus size model, so please no more "but...but...but…you need a belt! You must enhance the waist!" discussions, okay? I'm fully aware I look like a fat girl in a tent, and I'm 100% content with it, thank you very much. (For the record, I'm referring to in-person convos I've had, not to you wonderful commenters!)

Okay, sorry for the rant. Clearly I have some pent-up frustration about this topic. On to the pictures!

IMG_0345IMG_0346IMG_0347IMG_0350IMG_0349Dress-Evans/Sunglasses-Girl Props/Shoes-F21/Bracelets-H&M/Earrings-Fennimas*Please note: I love this dress, but I still don't like most maxi dresses :)

For clarification purposes: Last time I wrote something similar on my blog, I got a bunch of comments from girls who said they liked fashion rules and showing off the slimmest parts of their bodies. That's great! Personal style is just that: personal. I'd be a hypocrite to tell you what's best for you; if you're into wearing A-Line dresses, go for it! If you want to wear spandex and crop tops, do it! Fashion is all about self-expression--only you can decide what you should wear. I just want to emphasize that I hope your sartorial choices aren't determined solely by your size or shape!