NYC Style Spot   +  winter

Frozen Waves in Madison, Wisconsin
frozenmadisonWinters in the Midwest can be brutal-- below 0 degree temperatures, the sun setting at 4PM and being required to wear layer upon layer of clothing-- but it also offers sights like the one above. It was actually 8 degrees when my talented friend and fellow photographer Tricia took these photos of me in Madison, Wisconsin last January. [Yes, due to logistics, I didn't get these photos from her until recently!] Since I grew up in temperature climates, it was the first time I'd seen a lake freeze over. The surface was solid enough for brave souls to walk across and we saw adventurers ice fishing and skating. Unfortunately I wasn't wearing hardy enough shoes for such escapades so we stuck close to shore. It was eeriely quiet during most of our time spent at the lake except for the creaking of the ice from time to time.

If you were wondering, yes I was chilly during the shooting of these photos! Scroll down to see shots of the coat I wore over this outfit, it's a bit bulky but ridiculously warm.frozenmadison4OUTFIT DETAILS:
1960s cotton paisley print dress: Very Best Vintage, Chicago
1950s sequined cardigan: Estate sale, Chicago
YSL leather boots: Crossroads Trading Company, Chicago
Wool Beret & Cuddl Dud Thermal Tights: Gifts from mom

I actually wore this outfit on Christmas last year but didn't get any good shots of it so am glad Tricia recorded it for me in such a wintry setting.frozenmadison15The lakefront is mere blocks from the sprawling University of Wisconsin campus but with all the snow it looks like there is no one else around for miles.frozenmadison3frozenmadison14It's Nessie! The Loch Ness monster heads were a public art project, I'm not sure what they were made of but assume they were somehow anchored to the bottom of the lake.frozenmadison2frozenmadison13frozenmadison8frozenmadison12frozenmadison11Frozen waves!frozenmadison9Standing on the parking deck overlooking the lake.frozenmadison5See, told you I wore a coat, gloves and a scarf. I'm not that crazy. The coat is a 1950s find actually bought during that trip at a thrift store in Madison.frozenmadison6Trying to form a heart with my hands but sort of failing-- I Heart Madison! Here you can see my vintage silver rings and a 1960s watch that I also thrifted in Madison.frozenmadison7The wintry lake scenes were within walking distance of civilization-- in this case the downtown square and the Capitol building behind me. The area is home to an amazing farmer's market in the summer which I've also previously blogged about here and here.

It's been an oddly mild winter here in Chicago thus far, only two light powderings of snow and the temperatures haven't dipped much lower than the 30s. How has winter been for you so far? How do you stay practical AND fashionable?

All photos by Tricia LaPointe. Thanks Tricia! I can't wait to visit Madison again, it's been too long since my last visit.