NYC Style Spot   +  winter

The 1950s Dress That Started It All...
bridgeFive years ago during one of my usual shopping jaunts to the Goodwill Thrift Store around the corner from my Los Angeles apartment I decided to venture into the clothing section for the first time. While I'd frequented antique shops, flea markets and thrift stores since the age of 8 in the pursuit of jewelry, housewares and knick knacks, I had never thought about searching out vintage clothing prior to this trip. I'm not sure what prompted me to peruse the dress rack that day, but it was a decision that forever changed my wardrobe and shopping habits. After flipping past '80s ruffled confections and polyester monstrosities I came across a 1950s cotton polka dot dress with a twirly skirt. From that day my closet and wallet benefited from this discovery and I transitioned to wearing only vintage and thrifted clothing and accessories (except for shoes, tights and underwear of course!).
After several years of wear my first vintage dress had developed a frayed hem and a few holes-- but thankfully my mom fixed it up on my trip home so it was ready for a spin through Wilson Park, one of my hometown's beloved recreation spots. The highlight of Wilson Park is "The Castle" a sculptural structure designed by artist Frank Williams and constructed in the early 1980s. The area around the castle features a small pond, benches in the shape of flowers and inlaid tilework. It seemed like the perfect spot to photograph the dress "that started it all".castle2OUTFIT DETAILS:1950s dress: Goodwill Thrift, Los Angeles, CARed trench coat: Borrowed from my momRed t-strap heels: Urban Outfitters1960s upholstery purse: Thrifted in Arkansas1960s Mod plastic bracelet: Thrifted in ArkansasupholsterypurseI have quite the collection of upholstery/carpet purses, I rediscovered this 1960s paisley print bag in my old room at my parents' home.upholsterypursecupoodlependantFor Christmas I was lucky enough to receive several pieces of vintage jewelry, including this 1960s (70s?) poodle pendant from Kelsey, a long time friend of my family. The poodle is from her personal collection and she passed it on to me knowing how much I love vintage pieces. Its tail and collar are made out of little faux pearls which makes it unique.stairstowerIMG_0684wilsonpark1clueswalltilecastlecatsculpturepetalbenchThere are several benches in the shapes of flowers around The Castle, they were designed by artist Eugene Sargent. I'm sitting on the back of the flower and my mom is sitting on the front of the bench in the picture below.momflowerbenchpolkadotdressWhat was your first vintage purchase? Did it change the way you shop or dress?