NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Weekend Rummage Sale Haul
1950stoycarRummage sale season has started again in Chicago and I attended two particularly fruitful ones this weekend. I've yet to hit any of the mega sized rummage sales in the North Shore suburbs (it seems too competitive and far) but I do search out the smaller neighborhood sales held at churches and elementary schools.

Usually I don't find vintage clothing at the sales but there's always loads of housewares, ceramics, books and sometimes jewelry. Prices are typically lower than area thrift stores and since the merchandise is donated by a variety of people it's better than a garage sale.pickwikcameraA lightweight camera still in the original box with its instructions. I'm thinking it's from the 1950s and its construction reminds me of the "toy cameras" ie Holgas. I was amused by the merchandising, "A Candid Type Camera". I'm guessing since it was lighter and more portable they were marketing it as a good camera to use for snapshots.steerheadplaqueThe steer head plaque seemed to be a more animal-friendly version of the taxidermy trend. I've been obsessed with ceramics and pottery pieces lately-- the jar has a sticker on it that says: "American Craftsman" with a Chicago address "1718 N Wells". On the bottom rim it's also signed "Creative Craft". I believe it's missing a lid but I'll use it as a vase.russiancoffeecanistersA large (about 10 inches tall) wood and copper Made in West Germany coffee grinder and a set of Russian (?) coffee & tea canisters. I actually got the canisters at a vintage store and not at the rummage sales.rosetinThe rummage sale organizer threw in the English tin for free (yay) and I'm not sure if the orange footed bowl is vintage-- it looks like it should be 1970s and is unmarked.yellowpicnicsetNo it's not an Ingrid picnic ball (been wanting one of those for a while), but the next best thing-- a yellow plastic picnic set by Pic Nic Pac. All the plates and serving ware nest into the container. It's never been used.reveresugarcreamersetI'm obsessed with creamer & sugar sets because they always seem to be the most well designed pieces of a dinner service. Above is an Art Deco style chrome set by Revere of New York.stackingcreamersugarA thank you goes to my #ThriftBreak twitter friend, Bryan of A La Modern, for helping me ID the pieces above. The stacking ceramic sugar and creamer set is Hollydale's Malibu Modern line in chartreuse. The candle holders are Haldeman caliente.stackingcreamersugar2Another shot of the sugar and creamer set, definitely a well designed duo.nativeamericanbeadworkNative American beadwork-- not sure how old the pieces are or from what tribe. Sorry for the slightly blurry picture, the beads have a sheen to them so they're hard to capture. I'm also wondering what the pieces would have originally adorned.pawbroochAn extremely unusual brooch that looks to be made out of a paw (sorry vegetarian readers). The woman selling it told me that she bought it in England and that it's supposed to be pinned to a man's kilt. The bracelet is unmarked metal and enamel.vintageenamelpinAn enamel on copper pin, likely from the late 1950s or 1960s. It's about an inch wide.animalbroochesMore pins, I think both are from the 1960s.vintageringsVintage plastic ring and an enamel and sterling silver ring. No idea how old either of these rings might be-- maybe 1930s?ceramiccicadanecklaceA handpainted ceramic necklace that looks like it depicts a cicada bug. I'm thinking it's a newer souvenir piece as there's a foil label on the back that says "Handpainted" and it's signed "Jada".vintagebovanoenamelbowlAn enamel bowl from the Bovano company, a pioneer of fired art enamel that still produces pieces today. I'm thinking this bowl dates from the 1960s.minipotteryI'm a fan of miniature items-- the white pottery bowl has a unique aqua glaze inside and is about 1 inch in diameter. The little jug was described as "Navajo" and is about an inch tall.minipotteryinteriorInterior of the little pottery bowl.aquaenamelpanA 1960s enamel pan, I was drawn to the color and Modern shape. It's a "sizzling server" made by the Caravelle Company and was imported from France. It looks to be an individually sized pan as it's about 7 inches in diameter.catprintA sweet framed cat print and a Fire King Jadeite mixing bowl. I was shocked to find the bowl in pristine condition and for under $5. Whenever I find them they're really beat up or priced high.geometricplatesSet of two small glazed pottery plates, I liked the geometric pattern on both. They're unmarked so I'm uncertain of the origin or age of these plates-- they're about 3 inches in diameter.heartbeltbuckleAn English made brass belt buckle.dressersetA wonderful 1930s celluloid dresser or vanity set. This is the most elaborate set I've come across as it has an unusual glaze on the tops of the boxes that reminds me of sunstone. The tray has a painted decoration of a Native American chief's head and is marked "Thessalon, Canada" so it was likely a souvenir piece.

I also posted a few more finds yesterday that I purchased at the Take 2 Vintage backyard popup sale

Please let me know if you have information on any of the items posted, I'm always excited to learn more about the pieces I find.

I'm linking up to Her Library Adventures Flea Market Finds & Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday.