NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

V for Victory Dress
vforvictorydressIn years past the 4th of July always meant camping, swimming in the lake (or ocean) and bonfires to me. Since the holiday fell on a Wednesday this year, however, I stayed in the city and attended an impromptu backyard bbq hosted by my friends India & Jerome of Apartment 528 Vintage. Independence Day fell on one of the hottest days in Chicago too, it was 102 yesterday and we hit a record high of 105 today! Keeping the heat in mind I dressed in a comfortable cotton dress that also happens to be my most patriotic garment. I call it my "V for Victory" dress as it seems like something a patriotic girl in the WWII era would have made for herself.sazzou_4thofjulyThankfully my friend Sarah of Zzouzi Vintage also attended the festivities so we managed to slip away to take photos of our red, white and blue outfits. Sarah actually made her painted flag shorts. Aren't they rad? thriftaholic_frontstepsPosing on the front steps of India's apartment building, the red door went well with my outfit!

OUTFIT DETAILS:
late 1940s/early 1950s dress: Knee Deep Vintage, Chicago
Vintage leather belt: Brown Elephant Thrift, Chicago
Red Leather Sandals: Zappos.com 5 years ago
1980s pleather purse: Village Thrift, Chicago
1950s sunglasses: Randolph Street Market, Chicagovintageaccessories_diptychI wish my vintage scarf was longer so you could see more of the stars and stripes-- it features the American flag but was actually made in Italy in the 1970s.

I wore a real sea shell charm bracelet as an homage to summer.vintageaccessoriesOf course I had to wear red, white & blue bangles. I even wore a sterling silver star shaped 1980s ring! Jewelry is vintage and from various Chicago-area thrift stores and flea markets.sazzou_stairssazzou_fenceWith her long straight hair and cut off shorts, Sarah reminded me of a character from my favorite childhood TV show, "Saved by the Bell". Long live the 1990s!lawndarts_sarahOur friends Robyn and Joe of Take 2 Vintage were also at the BBQ and they brought with them the vintage game of lawn darts. The darts are oversized and you throw them underhand at a plastic ring target. The girls played one round and the guys another, next time we need to organize a tournament!lawnchair2instagram_watermelonsmashOf course it wouldn't be an American holiday without LOTS of food. India & Jerome were gracious hosts and we left stuffed. We had a variety of beverages including the watermelon smash cocktail above. Next time we'll strain out the seeds, oops.instagram_thriftaholic_hotdogJoe had a special technique for cooking hot dogs, he first cuts them into a spiral-- not only do they look fancier on the table they cook more evenly. Who knew?instagram_spiralhotdogSpiral hot dog action!instagram_grilledcornPretending to be healthy by eating grilled corn for our "2nd dinner". That's grilled chicken in the foreground and steak in the background. instagram_burgerCheeseburger with avocado and chips and homemade (by Sarah) spinach dip. This photo and the rest of the food photos were taken on instagram. Follow me @thriftaholic and Sarah @sazzou for more of our adventures.