NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Pretending Like It's Autumn (or Spring!)
1970s_coatWhen I lived in Los Angeles, I never thought about the weather-- I pretty much knew it would be sunny and warm year round and at most I would need a light sweater or jacket in the evenings for the desert chill. Now that I've lived in Chicago for  5 1/2 years, weather dominates my routine and of course, the way I dress. While slush and temperatures ranging from 0-15 degrees Fahrenheit are the norm in January, last year we had a mild winter and this winter is even more of a roller coaster. Last week we were shivering in 2 degree weather, yesterday we had sleet/icy rain and today it was 50 degrees. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 60s and then it's back to 12 degree weather later this week. All these temperatures swings leads to frustration while dressing so I thought I'd share a set of outfit pictures taken in the autumn that I never got to post here.

This outfit is a good example of what I'd wear in autumn, spring and "warmer" winter days. I'm sure those of you who live in the South and warmer climes can dress like this through your winter!coat_dressOutfit Details:
1970s coat: Unique Thrift, Chicago
1970s plaid dress: Unique Thrift, Chicago
HUE brand tights: Nordstrom Rack
Vintage belt: Brown Elephant thrift, Chicago
Vintage men's leather oxford shoes: Brink Dwellers vintage, Chicagocoat_cuplaid_dresslucite_braceletsSince it's warm enough to go without a scarf and gloves, I piled on the vintage jewelry. The 1960s lucite bracelets were purchased at the Vintage Garage flea market over the summer. The blue ring is a vintage class ring from the Randolph Street market and the filigree ring was from a rummage sale.timeturnernecklaceI think of this necklace as a Modernist take on the "Harry Potter" time turner, though of course this necklace pre-dates the book series. The sand still runs through the hour glass in the necklace, I believe this dates from the late 1960s.

Photos taken by Sarah of Zzouzi Vintage in her neighborhood of Andersonville.