NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

May Finds
So it's finally spring here in Chicago... which means not only warm weather but the start of the garage/yard sale season. Surprisingly I haven't gone to any yet, as I've been sticking to going to estate sales on the weekend (mainly to shoot for my photo project but also to shop, of course!). Here are a few of my finds from the past few weeks:

I think this is Art Deco as it doesn't seem floral/decorative enough to be Art Nouveau. She has no markings on her and I can't tell what the holes in the base were for... perhaps hat pins?

Not sure how old these are... stamped Made in Poland on the bottom and they are made out of wood. I'm a little puzzled by the faces of the characters, are they supposed to be stereotypical depictions of Chinese men?

This sturdy trivet was found in the basement at an estate sale... he's pretty tarnished so I'll have to shine him up.

The little chick on the left is an egg cup (Enesco, Made in Japan) and I'm a little puzzled about the parrot on the right, it has a cork on the bottom and holes on the top so it might be a salt and pepper shaker though it dosn't sit well on its own and the cork protrudes a bit. Both found at an estate sale a few weekends ago.

A little Made in Japan soft Santa ornament and the most amazing gold plastic bi-plane with Santa doing some crazy aerobatics on top. Found at two different estate sales this weekend.

This adorable trio was bought at an estate sale, unfortunately two of them have chipped wings but I thought they would be fun in a Christmas display anyways.

I've been picking up a lot of small framed prints and paintings lately... they all kind of flirt with the boundary of 'good taste' but I can't help but love them. I imagine grouping all of them salon style on one of the living room walls.

A little framed photo postcard bought at an estate sale a few weeks ago. I feel like I should recognize the building, it looks like the Capitol building in D.C. but I know that the Capitol doesn't have a guilded dome. Any ideas?

I know I'm supposed to cut back on buying mugs but these two were priced right (60 cents each at the Salvation Army) and had such cheerful graphics. I think both are from the 1970s? The mug on the right is actually Fire King, maybe these were promotional items for McDonalds?

A set of bright yellow Melmac cups (they're brighter than the picture) and tiny plastic tumblers marked Made in the U.S.A. They must have been water cups for kids?

I adore the two cups on the left... the colours, the simple design, the clean shape. They're the "It's a Breeze" pattern by Franciscan. They were only 40 cents each at the Salvation Army. The footed mug is from the late '60s or early '70s and definitely say "Flower Power" to me. I also found it at the Salvation Army.

Found these little 1960s purses for super cheap at the Salvation Army. I have a TON of handbags so I'll probably trade these at some point.

I pretty much bought this little white leather purse for its interior!

I'd been on the lookout for a Lady Elgin or Bulova watch for a while but kept finding a)broken ones or b)extremely overpriced ones. Thrift stores have been marking these up because they are marked Gold Filled/Rolled Gold, trust me, the amount of gold in there is not worth $90! I got this one for considerably less at the Andersonville Brown Elephant. It even has little diamond chips in it. The lady at the register said she had gotten one just like it in the 1950s for her high school graduation.

I was a bit disappointed that this wasn't a locket but I liked the delicate chain and the puffyness of the heart. I think it's probably from the 1940s?