NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Trend Report: Heraldry Symbols, Coats of Arms & Crowns
While I used to eagerly read fashion/style glossies every month during my high school & undergraduate years, for the past year I've barely touched one-- only once a season to get an idea of the trends. Since I switched over to buying/wearing exclusively vintage (a few exceptions include 2 pairs of GAP jeans, shoes since my feet are HUGE and of course underwear/socks) I look instead to like-minded girls that share my fashion sensibilities, like Liebemarlene, The Snail & the Cyclops and Sally Jane Vintage. Not only do they craft outfits out of vintage items that still seem contemporary rather than costumey, they also have been ahead of the curve in terms of predicting certain trends (ie chunky cardigans worn over floral teadresses, high heeled oxfords/brogues and feather headbands and large hairbows) months ahead of fashion editors/stylist and mainstream trendsetting stores like H & M or Urban Outfitters. The times that I do flip through a fashion glossy or visit UO I'm usually disappointed rather than inspired.



Yesterday, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find the above photo in September's issue of Lucky. Apparently a staffer found these tiny enamel and silver charms at a French flea market for a Euro apiece. Upon doing further research I discovered that these charms were popular tourist souvenirs in the 1940s-1970s abd were collected to put on charm bracelets.



The above are two new necklaces by Urban Outfitters interpreting this trend. Will these coat of arms/heraldry charms be the next locket or cameo (both of which I collect)?

I admit I'm always a little bit tempted by Urban Outfitters' 'vintage-inspired' jewelry pieces but I always convince myself to hold out and find the real thing at a thrift store or estate sale. Today I was lucky enough to find these two little fleur de lis shield charms made of copper or brass at an estate sale for only $1. I also happened across this very regal rhinestone & pearl crown pin at Buffalo exchange today... it was marked half off so it too was only $1. Not sure of its age but it seems to be older, possibly '50s or '60s.

If you're interested in learning more about the history of the Souvenir Travel Shield Charms, they're an entire Web site devoted to them: Echarmony.com They also have a comprehensive eBay store that sells both international and U.S. charms. My favorites from Echarmony (they have some great LA charms!); sadly they are out of my price range at $25 each but it's fun to browse what's for sale.