NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Hometown Finds
The pickings were a little slim at the thrift stores in my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas during my last visit during the holidays. I found quite a bit more the last time I went home but I blame the low stock on the economy-- people are less apt to buy new things and so hold on to their old items rather than donating them.

A trio of '70s colours... my mom was excited to find the yellow plastic box, it's meant to hold sewing notions and that's what she'll be using it for-- the box was super filthy when we unearthed it at a Springdale thrift store but it cleaned up well. The orange train case will join my collection of train cases (I don't have any in this bright of a hue) and the green plastic cheese grater will match the colour scheme of my kitchen.

My absolute favorite Pyex items, the little refrigerator dishes. Found these two pretty cheaply at an antique mall in Rogers. I just now realized that the salt & paper shakers are actually both meant for pepper!

Possibly the best tissue paper holder ever-- aqua & atomic-- and a pair of yellow Melmac cups. These three items were had for about a dollar.

A little blue flipper that matches the Corningware Corn Flower Blue pattern.

This owl pin is actually quite tiny, just a little under an inch. I love his rhinestone eyes and the inset pearls.

An unusual charm bracelet, most likely from the 1950s, made of a heavier cast metal. If you can't tell from the photo, the charms are as follows: a bowling ball and pin, a spice grinder/mill, a bi-plane, a toy soldier, an old milk bottle, an old telephone, a girl/doll, an old lawnmower, a lamp, an unidentifiable item (maybe a kitchen implement?) and a football. My mom and I found this at a new antique mall that opened recently in an unassuming plaza. There was a lot of new/hippie craft items there but also a few vintage gems.

A pair of wooden bobble head Japanese kokeshi dolls. I have a few smaller kokeshi bought in LA flea markets but was surprised to find this pair in Arkansas. They seem to be quite old, from the 1940s or before.

A little illustration of parrots in a vintage frame shaped like bamboo. This will join all the 'natural' prints that I've collected (and that I'm hoping to display on a living room wall soon).

Yet another tin for my collection... this one used to hold English biscuits (cookies), an old biscuit cutter & a set of plastic measuring cups in the classic 1950s kitchen colour combo of aqua, pink & white.

A closeup of those cups... sadly am missing the 'cup' size.

And even more tins! I love the pink one-- it has the prettiest little bow motif going around the rim. Anyone have a good way to display tins? Currently my collection is spread across my Chicago apartment until I can find a good arrangement for them.

The top of the tins.

The pattern is from the 1950s and I should be the equivalent to my contemporary size (so maybe I'll have a dress made--probably the one on the right), the two stuffed apples are pincushions and the two books are from the early 1960s and include instructions on how to make your own 'campus casual' sweaters, jumpers and even two piece suits! I'll need to scan the inside photos of these soon.

College co-eds modelling the latest in knitted fashions.