NYC Style Spot   +  milk

Wellness Wednesday: Juicing

This was a Saturday night juice fix, instead of a red wine! I juice everyday. It's a convenient way to get a heap of veggies in and it's a novelty for the kids to happily get involved. I crave it- it's addictive, your body craves it!

There are lots of juicers on the market but I chose to go with one that would be versatile and get the most phytonutrients in to our drinks!

The Kuvings juicer was our choice and the bonus is, it is a breeze to make almond milk in- no more straining or squeezing! Almond milk lasts longer with the Kuvings and I get more bang for my (almond) buck as it is able to squeeze much more than I ever could.
Back to juicing... it extracts the juice instead of grinding, retaining more nutrients and enzymes. I use the left over pulp (minus citrus variety, no good for my worm farm) for my compost. I leave the citrus to last so I don't mix it up with my 'good' compost.

Juicing Vs. Blending
I juice everyday and blend most days- both have negatives and positives. I have also worked out what vegetables I digest better when juiced/blended so it can be up to the individual also.
Here is a great article comparing the pro's and con's of juicing vs. blending.

The juice master, Jason Vale, has some great books and an informative website. He believes, as do I, that 70% of your diet should be "Water-Rich 'Live' Food"

My juices consists mostly of whatever is in season and it's always filled with every colour I can get my hands on. I will try to be brief but there are literally hundreds of health benefits if you can pack all of these colourful fruits and veggies in;

Image from Kuving's
Greens-
Eg: Kale, Silver beet, Cucumber, Celery
Protein
Chlorophyl- improves circulation, energy and your haemoglobin (blood) count, improves the health of vital organs (lungs, liver, intestines and uterus,) assists in fresh breath, iron building nutrients, helps to detox heavy metals and assists in removing toxic build up within your body.
Wheatgrass- my favourite for all of it's health benefits!
Kiwi Fruit- I don't add much fruit but I always add Kiwi nfor Vitamin C, Folic Acid and Catechin

Reds
Eg: Tomatoes ( Polphenol, Lycopene)
Beetroot (circulation cleansing plus vitamin C, Iron, B6, folic acid)
Pomegranates (antioxidant rich and contain the 3 special phytonuttrients- anthocyanins, quercetin and tannins)

Oranges
Carrots- Beta-carotene
Oranges- Vitamin C

Purples
Anthocyanins (part of the bioflavanoid family) full of antioxidants and free radical support. Also a great source of Phytochemicals.
Eg; Cherries (anthocyan)

Buy the Kuving's Juicer from Raw Power

Image from Kuving's