NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

The State of the Curvy Community
Since my appearance on GMA, I have gotten some pretty negative emails and comments regarding my blog (don't worry--I've received a lot more good messages than bad). People tell me I am promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, that I am encouraging destructive behavior, and my favorite: that I am "eating myself to an early grave with a smile on my face."
In general, I try to keep fat politics out of YFF, because I want this blog to focus solely on fashion (not to mention I think Shapely Prose and Fatshionista are doing a superb job as it is). Let me make one thing clear: I do not promote anything on YFF besides being fashionable. I have tons of readers who are currently on diets and attempting to lose weight. Guess what? That's fine. I don't vilify the "skinny bitch." I hope all women of all sizes love their bodies, because I love mine. I don't care whether you diet or not. I do care that fat girls realize they can look just as stylish as anyone else. If you think that's somehow radical and offensive, then don't read this blog. It's really that simple.
I keep my personal opinions regarding size acceptance and body image out of YFF because they are just that, personal opinions. I am not here to tell anyone how to live their lives. That being said, I am glad that there are places online where a discussion around these issues is encouraged, and I am super excited to announce an upcoming event where this type of dialogue will occur in person. In conjunction with Full Figured Fashion Week, The Curvy Collective is hosting a panel entitled “The State of the Curvy Community."
Date: Friday, June 26thLocation: Ripley Grier Studios, 520 8th Avenue (between 36th and 37th), 16th Floor, Room 17C, New York, NYTime: 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Sharon Quinn, “The Original Runway Diva," will be moderating the panel, which consists of some pretty cool people:
  • Deb Malkin, Owner of Re/Dress NYC
  • Cassy Jones- McBride,US Director of the Fuller Woman Network
  • Glen Johnson, Owner of Full Figure Plus and a Member of The Curvy Collective
  • K. L. Belvin, Author of "Man In Transition"
  • Mia Amber, Model, Actress, Creative Editor of Plus Model Magazine
  • Maddy Figueroa-Jones, Editor in Chief of Plus Model Magazine
  • Susan Moses, Celebrity Stylist

  • Because I am a bad blogger, I didn't put this up earlier and now the event is full! I hope some of you saw the information on other blogs and were able to RSVP in time to secure a spot!
    After all the serious stuff is over, join us for the fun part: shopping! Head back down to Ripley Grier Studios on Saturday, June 27th, for "Curves in the City Shopping Soiree" from 11am-3pm. If you want to come, you gotta purchase your tickets online ASAP! It's $15 to get in, but it's worth it; you'll get discounted prices from FFFWeek designers and vendors. Lastly, come party with us! Check the official website for more info on the social events that are offered throughout the week.
    Hope to see you guys there!