NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Make It Work
I disagree with pretty much every "fashion expert" in the biz. You'll constantly hear them talk about how "being bigger doesn't matter as long as you're wearing things in your size that flatter your body!" I basically argue the opposite--as fat girls our options are extremely limited, so if we want to stay on trend, we are forced to find creative ways to do so. To stay current, I've worn dresses as tunics and chain belts as necklaces. I scour thrift stores for hours, trying everything on whether it's marked my size or not. I am telling you, as I have many times before, to forget the size on the tag. Get innovative. Turn that tube dress into a mini skirt! Hem that muumuu and throw a belt over it! Make it work. I made a video with a little more explanation (check out my new 'do!):


For the record, this can be a very frustrating process. Many things you try on will NOT work. Finding things that work for you takes time and practice, and some days you won't find anything at all. The dress I wore in the video was the only thing I bought that day after trying on tons of clothes! If you're worried about the looks you'll get from sales associates/other shoppers, or you're generally uncomfortable with shopping at straight size stores, shop online first. You may have to return things (which is annoying when it comes to shipping fees), but eventually you will get the hang of it.