NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

The One That Almost Got Away...
1940s Military-inspired Wool Jacket1940s Military-inspired Wool Jacket (Detail)Three weeks ago I went to an amazing garage sale only three blocks from my apartment-- the woman used to own a vintage gift shop in the '90s in Wicker Park and still had some of her old stock (1930s-50s greeting cards, knick knacks, heaps of clothing) that she was wanting to clear out of the storage area in her basement. I'd actually been to her sale last fall when I bought a pile of 1930s-50s dresses and accessories for only two dollars each so I was figuring she wouldn't have anything new. I was wrong as she had come across 2 more forgotten boxes that were stuffed with vintage clothing! Pictures will be forthcoming in the next few weeks but I bought a 1940s aqua bathing suit, 6 dresses from the 1930s-60s, a 1970s plaid blazer, a wool 1940s suit, a fur hat and collar and lace gloves all for $30!

There were still quite a few pieces left on the racks, including the 1940s red military-inspired wool jacket above. Since I'd already bought so much I decided against getting it, especially since I had no idea how to style such a piece.

So I left it behind. All week, however, I kept thinking about THAT JACKET. After consulting with fellow vintage lover, Emily over at Livin' Vintage, I decided that to put my mind at rest I should try to contact the seller about buying the jacket. Unfortunately the craig's list ad was already taken down and the only way to get in touch with them was to leave a note or knock on the door.

Last week I decided to walk by the house to see if anyone was in the yard. The gate was open so I knocked on the front door where the son of the seller said he would see if the jacket was still there-- it was (obviously) and I'm so glad I went back for it as when will I ever find such a unique 1940s jacket that actually fits me for $15??

Now, the real question-- what do I wear this with? It's not the right season for it but am wanting to create outfit ideas already, maybe pairing it with a pencil skirt? I don't really wear pants anymore so that's kind of out.