NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Initial Pendants & Brick Walls
StripesLast night I realized that despite wearing vintage every day I haven't been very good at recording these outfits and posting them on the blog. From now on I'll make more of an effort to record my vintage dress collection and the accessories I wear with them. Although not all my accessories are vintage (especially shoes, I wear a 9 1/2-10 U.S.!) I'll include detail shots of them too just to give you a better idea of how I coordinate items. Unfortunately I can't promise picturesque backgrounds (you'll be seeing a lot of that brick wall) but hopefully the clothing on its own is interesting enough to tune in for!

I'd been lusting after the little black straw hat from Urban Outfitters when I first saw it in the store a few months ago but I couldn't justify the price tag at the time. When I stopped by UO randomly a week ago I saw it for a third of its original price in the sale section and snatched it up. A frivolous purchase, maybe, but I didn't think I'd find a vintage hat in this style and it looks so great paired with all my summer outfits.

Outfit Details:

Striped 70s (?) dress-- Estate Sale
Black Lace up Shoes-- Aerosoles
Straw hat-- UO sale
Large Carpet Bag-- Lincoln Park Thrift Store
"L" necklace (70s?)-- Wicker Park thrift store
Black 1980s belt-- RemixedBack of Striped DressIt was again boiling here in Chicago, at least it was more of a dry heat today, the humidity has been killing me! Backless dresses really help to keep cool, I bought this one for $1 at that crazy estate sale I went to last year.

I've been having dating the dress I'm wearing, mainly because all the other dresses I bought at that sale dated from the 1940s and '50s. Initially I thought this dress was from the 1950s because of the silhouette and the metal zipper but the bare back seems rather racy for the time period. Maybe it's from the 70s? It's made out of cotton and polyester and the tag says to machine wash which makes me think it's newer. Any thoughts?Large Carpet Bag with keyI bought this little carpet bag at a Lincoln Park thrift store that is usually WAY overpriced. Fortunately they had a rare sale on their handbags so it was only $5. Its best feature is the little key that's still attached-- it locks the side of the bag to keep your goodies secure.Sparkly "L" NecklaceAnother item I've been having trouble dating, this rhinestone-studded initial pendant. It came on a contemporary chain but I think it's actually from the 1970s or earlier. Jewelry can be even harder to date as the same styles remained classic for decades. There are no markings on the pendant.