NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

Spoonful of Sugar Helps The Medicine Go Down

It's official, my love for fashion can sometimes overwhelm me. New York Fashion Week, then London, then Milan, Spain in between... so much creative talent aiming to reach new audiences, such hard work into media events, press releases clogging up my e-mail inbox, campaigns to stimulate my buying habits in a less than positive economic climate. Collections for the warmer days that seem so far away being sold right now. This is a lot of information, a lot of ideas ... let me break it down for you.

London Fashion Week happened. Fashionistas, bloggers, journalists, and Anna Wintour, fled to London and mixed with the usual "it" girls and boys. Sarah Jessica Parker attended the Alexander McQueen memorial, Daisy Lowe modelled for Viviene Westwood and Alexa Chung looked fresh and chic at the Burberry Prorsum show.

Talk about men. Attending the same show, Andy Murray and from US show Breaking Bad Aaron Paul, pictured above via Telegraph Fashion. Great look, simple but full of charisma.

I was a tad annoyed by how Gucci's Milan show overlapped with the last day in London, especially when said last day is exclusively dedicated to menswear. International journalists fled to Milan, and the creations showcased on that day got a lot less attention. Men wear clothes, guys want to look good in their choice of attire, which is all just to say that boys dig fashion. The fashion industry may be responding to that hunger, but high streets are still light years away.

About the Burberry Prorsum show, I enjoyed the live streaming. Watching models walking down a terribly slippery catwalk made me slightly nervous, though. One could purchase items online from that show right after the stream, and have them in 7 weeks. I can't afford a single piece right now, but if I could, yes, I would buy in September for Spring, why not?

On a personal level, I decided to push certain style constraints. The key to do this well? the "abort plan" moment. One must experiment at home, carefully considering if the look does somehow work, and decide whether the chosen fashion commandment can be broken. If not, "abort plan" = pick something else to wear.

My inspiration was my dog... hear me out. I have a miniature dachshund mix (teckel) and as you can see by the picture above his colours are black and tan.

The experiment? going against one of my friends recent statements "oh, never black with brown, no no no".

The ingredients? Top by OME New York, black skinny jeans by Karen Millen, tan wedges by Zara, dark grey socks by El Corte Inglés.

The result? I think it worked. The soft browns and gold on the grey top balanced the vibrant tan in the shoes. The black jeans were just a discreet way of showcasing the entire look.

My abort plan moment? accessorising the look with a small leather jacket and a faux fur bolero, plus my faux fur River Island bag. Walking down the steps out of my home, boyfriend calmly waiting in the car only to be shocked by a loud thump against the vehicle. Cut to me flat-faced on the passenger's side window, Zara wedge sandwiched between pavement and road.

Me? After a hysteric laughing fit, bolero and handbag were ditched... "is the car ok?" the boyfriend's reaction.

Pictures: Telegraph, Fashion Limbo