NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Blogger Meetup with Emily of Livin' Vintage: Part 1
duo_icecreamWow, I can't believe it's taken me so long to blog these photos, Emily of Livin' Vintage and her beau came to visit me back in August (!!!) and two months later I'm blogging about it. Not sure why I've been so horrible about blogging lately, I'll blame my super slow computer-- I knew I should have bought a Mac 3 years ago but now I'm stuck with an aging PC laptop, not fun.coneI'd been a regular reader of Emily's blog for a while now and we connected over being vintage lovers in the Midwest. When she mentioned the possibility of visiting from Detroit I offered to serve as her host for all things vintage for the three day weekend! The first two photos in this post are from Margie's Candies, a tasty ice cream and chocolate shop that has been a Chicago institution since 1921.emily_pieEmily and her beau got into Chicago Thursday afternoon so I took them on a mini tour of my neighborhood. We stopped at Hoosier Mama for delicious pie and stopped by Very Best Vintage and Seek Vintage. The next day we went out to the suburbs to hit a couple of estate sales! Of course when I have access to a car I don't find furniture or large, heavy items but I still bought some fun knick knacks and jewelry. We got to both sales after they had been open a few hours but still managed to snag a good pile of items for not very much $. Below are a few items I bought at the first sale, a 1930s/40s silver ring, a Dutch blue & white creamer, cherry-adorned metal hook and a metal 'button box' full of buttons, bits of jewelry and other goodies that I hope to do projects with in the future!silveringkitchengoodstinbitsbox1topperSince we were close to the Northwest suburb of Park Ridge, we stopped for lunch at the Pickwick Theater's restaurant. This is personally significant to me as it's the site of my grandparent's first date back in 1938! It was pretty amazing to go to the spot they had been over 70 years later. Unfortunately it's still not 1930s inside (it skews more 80s) but they still serve classic American diner fare like reubens, tuna melts and blue plate specials.pickwickleilani_shakeleilani_theatreemily_theaterPhew sorry for the image-heavy post... I'll be posting part 2 tomorrow or the next day (I promise!). Sorry it took so long to get this up Emily! See her trip entries here and here.