NYC Style Spot   +  Interview

Ruchika Sachdeva Interview for Republic of Chic
Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview1)      Your almost prophetic sci-fi collection - 'Biomechanics' describing the merging of human anatomy with mechanical elements is sleek, steely and sexy. Is this part of your character as a designer?

Certain elements of this collection are a part of my character as a designer, in terms of aesthetics and construction. Biomechanics was the theme of my Autumn/Winter collection, which outlines the whole feel of that collection. As you have already put it well in words, it’s about this warrior woman who is an amalgamation of human anatomy and machines. I work around a muse that I create myself after introspection and as a result of the things that are inspiring me most at that point of time. So inspirations might change or evolve but the key elements around which the collection revolves, do connote my character as a designer.Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview 2)      We see a lot of 3D construction in your clothing, building clothes around the body as opposed to flat decoration. What does this symbolize for you?

 I do 3D construction because I find it more exciting and challenging that just flat decoration. I am just trying to push boundaries and explore new and unconventional silhouettes and techniques.Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview 3)      Is your mission to lighten up couture, to make it younger, to make it good for the new generation?

 My mission includes recognizing aesthetics, realizing potential and questioning their conventions to be able to create something that pushes boundaries and is still accessible and wearable. You are right this might also include easing out haute couture. The mission might sound very heavy but I’ve tried to condense a lot in a sentence and if you read it carefully it makes a lotta sense.Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview4)      When it comes to your collection, if you had to pick out 3 pieces, which would be the first three you would grab?

 I would grab the black spine blazer, the white jumpsuit and the long grey paneled coat before anything else.Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview 5) How do you intend women to feel when wearing Ruchika Sachdeva clothing?

 When women wear my clothes they should feel that whatever they are wearing is capable of representing their individuality and attitude. I like clothing to go beyond just decoration. There are a lot of people who take it very seriously like you and me and when people wear my clothes they should feel very confident of who they are and believe that they can kick ass!Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview 6)      What's the most influential thing in your life and work?

 It varies from time to time !! It’s very hard for me to pin down one thing because I get influenced and inspired by many different things.Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview7)      What three things can you not do without right now?

       Tea, music and people I love!Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics Interview8)      The best age to be is...          This might sound a little clichéd but I truly believe that age is just a number.Ruchika Sachdeva 2010 BioMechanics InterviewVia WearaboutShoes: Vivienne Westwood
Trousers: Own design
Bag: Vintage, Porto Bello, London.
Tee: Zara

Ideally, I would have loved to run into her at a chai shop where I would have first gushed over her work and then picked her brain for insights into the insane collection; Biomechanics over lots of cups of tea. I mean how kickass is that grey panelled spine jacket?! I have my eye on it for when Ruchika opens her flagship store in Hauz Khas Village, Delhi. You lucky Delhi bums! Will update you guys on when that is and lets all gate crash together! ;)