NYC Style Spot   +  wellies

Puddle Jumper: Rainy Day Brights
rainy1The rainy season is upon Chicago, I should be grateful that it's warm enough to be raining versus snowing but it's too gloomy to be excited. I've decided I could never live in the Pacific Northwest or London as I don't do well with prolonged days of gloomy skies and wet weather-- I need sun! To cheer myself up I wear brighter clothing on days like today and pull out my vintage rain gear.bubbleumbrellaI'd be searching for a 1960s bubble umbrella for years and when I finally found one (pictured above)in the basement of an estate sale 3 years ago, Target came out with its own line of them! Ah well. Umbrellas are unfortunately one item that I can't have enough of-- I go through them at an alarming rate. My first year here I went through 5 umbrellas due to breaking them in our strong wind gusts or accidentally leaving them on the El or train. I'm actually in need of a new umbrella as the vintage bubble one is now rather delicate.rainyduoThis 1960s (?) rain coat was bought at a private vintage sale last summer and I like its Nautical feel-- I also have a sunshine yellow trench that matches the umbrella but thought it would be a bit much paired with the bubble gum pink dress.
Out Details:
1960s (?) Trench: Private Vintage Sale, Wicker ParkBubblegum Pink 1960s Dress: Garage Sale, Ukrainian VillageVintage Galoshes (1970s? 80s?): Village Thrift, Chicago1960s Bubble Umbrella: Estate Sale, Chicago1950s Bow Fascinator: Chicago Antique Store1980s Avon Boat Pin: Gift from Albertrainyduo2I don't wear this dress very often, it was found at a garage sale in my neighborhood when I st moved to Chicago almost 4 years ago. While the colour and detailing (there are little pearls and rhinestones studded along the collar and pockets) the shape is rather awkward on me. Perhaps it's time to get it altered.
The vintage galoshes fit better than their contemporary cousins, they have a small square heel and fit tight on the calf and zip up. I'd always hated rain boots as they are always so bulky. These are also lined in a faux fur to keep me toasty.rainycuIt's hard to see but I'm wearing a 1950s bow fascinator, it's made of a stiff material and perches on the back of my head. I was excited to find it at a Chicago antique shop for $3, it will be getting more use in warmer weather. My hair also needs to be cut quite badly, you can see it in all its scraggly, humidity-induced frizziness here.While looking for Rainy Day inspiration I came across an umbrella company, Umbrella Heaven, based in the United Kingdom. Since the conversion rate is so awful (plus international shipping) I won't be able to get one of those heart shaped umbrellas but I can dream!