NYC Style Spot   +  topshop

What I Bought - Aviator Sunglasses

One of my pet peeves is shopping for sunglasses. What for a lot of people is a fun and painless experience, for me is sheer torture. It involves me cursing, walking out of stores in a huff, changing my hair style several times, finally giving up by day two and buying a pair that doesn't completely suit me, but that will simply do the trick. I have one of those tricky faces... shades don't like me even though I love them.

Imagine my happiness when I found not one, but two pairs of glasses that suited me in less than 48 hours. How did I do it? I stuck to a particular style that I knew would work, the Aviator.

This classic is right now bang on trend and therefore very easy to find almost everywhere. Ray Ban does them all the time! I hear you say, but I sadly cannot own a pair. You see, I have the scary habit of throwing my stuff around with hardly any care. Spending more than €20 on sunglasses is a risk I'm not willing to make.

Now to my finds: the pair above is from Marks & Spencer (bought in Marbella, Spain) and below is my ugly mug modelling them for you

The Pros: the price, being M&S low at only €11,95. The fact that they are entirely plastic, and for my clumsy persona, less delicate, which is good.

The cons: The plastic frame resulted painful to wear, and the glasses kept sliding down my nose. They were returned and I happily got my money back.

Then we have a pair from Topshop (also from Marbella), see above and below for pictures.

The pros: the frame is very pretty and the style is classic. Very wearable season after season.

The cons: the shade of the lenses is brown and I was aiming for black or something easier to wear. Additionally, the price, at €18 is a tad over my budget at the moment. I'm praying for some good luck on the quality side, they are Topshop after all.

The thing about sunglasses is that now almost every fashion brand sells them. We really need to watch out for quality and work out what we want our shades for before we part with the money. There's really no point in going for cheap models if they offer no real UV protection or the quality of the lenses is so bad it gives you a headache. It's all about trial and error, as with the style. Unless you are blessed with one of those face shapes that suit every type of sunglasses, once you find the brand/style that works for you, stick to it.

Now I need your help: What brands do you go for? As I only got one pair I appreciate any tips to make the next shopping trip less painful.

Pictures: Fashion Limbo