NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

AllSaints in need of reinvention

As I sipped my morning coffee, I let my eyes wander through The Guardian’s Business section - yes, I do that, and although it may surprise A LOT of people, I actually understand everything that’s being said... well ok, maybe not that much, but I’m getting better. Anyway, I digress. I soon came across an article about UK fashion brand AllSaints.

For months the chain of stores has been trying to avoid going into administration and now a buy-out seems possible. I couldn't help but hope that whoever comes with the cash injection, does it so with a good business plan under their arm.

I do love this brand and would miss seeing it in our shopping streets. The trouble with AllSaints is that it’s sort of caters for a niche market. Compared to other stores in the British high streets and also at an international level - present in places like Moscow, Antwerp, Paris, Boston, New York, etc - only a few people would shop there regularly. It’s not only the high prices, but also the style. Their colour palette is quite simple, with grey as a main element, beige, black, toned-down shades. On the other hand, the shapes of their designs are amazing, daring and quite intricate. Take for example the skirt I wear below, it’s a stunning piece, a unique fashion statement, a tad Alexander McQueen (unsure about how the Loviu top, the look ends up being a tad too busy for my liking and I did change it before going out, but this is the only picture I have wearing said skirt).

Top: Loviu
Belt: vintage
Skirt: AllSaints
Shoes: Ulanka

The men’s section is also pretty good, reminiscent perhaps of John Varvatos, masculine, rough around the edges, extremely wearable.

I believe AllSaints is in dire need of a change of perspective. With shirts costing between £65 and £165 it remains a very pricey brand and people’s pockets, while still able to shop for clothes, have become very limited. Personally, although I love what they do, I hardly can afford it and generally only shop there during the sales.

AllSaints may have to widen its influence, attract new customers. Hardly anyone outside of the UK knows anything of the brand. The above mentioned Guardian article states how the store is “known for its distinctive shopfronts full of vintage sewing machines”. If a respectable British newspaper can only describe AllSaints for the use of a certain gadget in their window fronts, then there is something very wrong about the image of the brand.

In these troubling times, reinvention has become a means of survival, a way to stay afloat and avoid drowing in a sea of economical doubt...woops may have overdone it there with the lyrical drama... but you catch my drift.
Ultimately, this is only Fashion Limbo's humble opinion. What other brands do you wish were reinvented, refreshed?

Pictures: Fashion Limbo