NYC Style Spot   +  spring

Down by the Pond
pond2Fortunately I got the chance to meet up with Jade, my friend since high school and former co-blogger here at Thriftaholic, during the few days back in my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas. The day before I left to come back to Chicago we met up at her home in Centerton, a more rural area about 30 minutes from Fayetteville.
Luckily she's always a good sport about taking blog photos for me so we wandered over to a commercial pond near her home. The area of Arkansas we're from is actually more suburban than rural, you might think otherwise from my photos as I tend to seek out more rustic areas to photograph. Ponds, fields and 'abandoned' train yards make better pictures than Wal-marts and chain restaurants, right?
I was excited to rediscover this 1970s novelty print halter dress in my old closet at my parents' home. I'd bought it 5 years ago in L.A. at a now-closed store called the Dust Factory. The dress used to have a built-in bra which unfortunately made it unwearable. My handy seamstress mother cut out the inserts and put in new elastic so it was instantly wearable (thanks mom!) It's made out of cotton so it will be my go-to frock for sunny days spent at the beach or at the park this summer.pond1bagcuOUTFIT DETAILS:
1970s frog & daisy print cotton dress: Dust Factory, Los Angeles (now closed)Basket Purse: Found in my closet at my parents' house, think I found it at an Arkansas thrift storeVintage Yellow & Green Plastic Bangles: Fayetteville thrift storeVintage Yellow Bracelet: Village Thrift Store, Montreal, Canada1960s sunglasses: Antique Store, Andersonville, ChicagoLeather Belt: Brown Elephant Thrift Store, ChicagoDenim Espadrilles: Shoe Village of Liliw, Philippinespond4Jade and I found a field dotted with cows and yellow flowers by the pond but unfortunately a wicked barbed wire fence separated us from the idyllic setting. I was game for going over the fence but we couldn't find an opening anywhere... next time we'll have to bring a stepstool! Ah the things I do for blog photos.cowsyellowflowersshoescufence2pondreflectionpond3Thanks Jade for taking the photos! She'll be updating her blog, Out Thrifting, in the near future with her vintage finds.