NYC Style Spot   +  spring

Road Trip: Milwaukee to Madison!
stairsOn day 2 of the Wisconsin road trip [Read about Day 1 HERE] I took Easter weekend with my roommate, we woke up at 7AM so we could head over to Brady Street to scoop up some pastries & cookies from Scortino's Bakery. They have THE best Italian cookies and they're also reasonably priced at $8 a pound. We wandered down Brady until we came across a coffee shop that looked homey and we found Rochambo Coffee & Tea shop, set inside a colorful Victorian home. I'm posing on the front porch of the coffee shop in the above photo. If you're curious I'm wearing a 1940s apron-style dress and a 1970s cardigan.bakery2Scortino's has a fun mosaic of bread in front of the shop so we of course had to pose in front of it! Upclose it becomes abstract. My roommate Adeline is pictured above and I'm below in my wool pea coat, yes it was that cold!bakery1bakeryduoDespite being rainy the day before, the sun peeked out several times on Saturday. There was amazing light coming through the front window so I kept taking photos while waiting for my coffee drink to be made.windowThe street was pretty much empty and quiet, 7:30AM is an early breakfast time for most people!coffeeshopduoMy 'new' stamped leather bucket bag, I recently thrifted it at the Brown Elephant and while it has a 1970s vibe it's contemporary (probably only a few years old). Can't remember where I found the little straw cloche hat, probably a Chicago thrift store. It was hard to decide on a coffee drink but I ended up going with my old standby, an iced vanilla latte.coffeeshopwindowpeacockringAnother recent thrift find, a sterling silver peacock ring. I think it's a knockoff of a Pamela Love ring, it looks exactly like it except it has rhinestones rather than emeralds. You can also see a closeup of the pattern on my dress, not sure what the purple flowers are supposed to be-- peonies?capitol2After our tasty breakfast we drove the 1 1/2 hours over to Madison, Wisconsin. The Madison leg of our trip was more relaxing than Milwaukee has I have been going there 2-3 times a year for the past 4 years. My friends Tricia & Steve live there so they also acted as our local tour guides for the time we were there. We met them at the opening day of the Madison Farmer's Market, outside the Capitol Building in their downtown. Above we're posing in front of The Capitol. Yes, this was the scene of all those protests a few months ago that you might have heard about!cowcookieAt the market I picked up my favorite Wisconsin staple, squeaky cheese curds, a jar of pear jam, a house plant (Forget Me Not flowers), some early tomatoes and a sugar cookie shaped like Wisconsin (pictured below). I of course got the blue one, yes I'm a Democrat if you're wondering.WIcookiecarrotmanWe saw this man dressed up as a carrot at the market; he was advertising for a natural co-opt that specialized in alternative medicines. Of course we had to take a picture with him, it turned out pretty comical!!
Stay tuned for part 2 of this post! I took so many photos that there would have been to many to include in one entry.