NYC Style Spot   +  Wicker Park

Playing the Flâneur in My Own Neighborhood
wickerparktreemuralBefore moving to Chicago four years ago I'd always lived in areas that required a car to get around efficiently; growing up in my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas I dreamt of living in a more densely populated area where coffee shops, the grocery store, neat little vintage stores and cafes would all be within walking distance. After moving here from sprawling Los Angeles (where I went to USC), I moved into a 1920s apartment in the Ukrainian Village and haven't wanted to live anywhere else. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods and each has its own character, history and subculture. While I identify myself as a Near West Side girl (Ukrainian Village/Wicker Park/Bucktown/West Town/Logan Square) I've made it a point to explore the far reaches of the city from the first week that I lived here.
During fair weather, ie above 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I roam the streets in search of intriguing urban art and 19th century architecture, often stopping along the way to pick up an iced coffee and to browse through thrift and vintage shops. At least 3 times a week I'll make the 3-mile round trip jaunt to Wicker Park, the artsy/hipster neighborhood bordering mine. Usually these are solitary walks but last weekend my friend and fellow blogger Sara joined me for a photographic adventure. I'm inspired by bloggers like The Hummingbird Girls, Sally Jane Vintage and Ashley Ording who make their respective cities a prominent subject of their photographs.ukvillage1905churchOnly a few blocks from my apartment is a century-old church and school that has now been shuttered and boarded up. As you can see from the photo above it was built in 1905. It's been standing empty for several years now, what happens to churches after they close?ukvillagechurchduoThe gates of the church were locked up tight so we didn't get to explore it as much as I'd like. There are many Ukrainian Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches in my neighborhood and I can hear the bells tolling every Sunday throughout the Village.wickerparkmuralUkrainian and Eastern European families live side by side with a younger generation of artists, musicians and students in my neighborhood thus colorful urban murals crop up next to 19th century brick 2-flats and the aforementioned churches. Sara and I were particularly drawn to this large mural on Damen Avenue that depicts a slice of the city (notice the elevated train in the background).sara_artwallukvillagemuralsThe art piece on the left was made out of some sort of vinyl that had been stuck to the brick wall and is located near Division & Damen.stumpchairduoWe didn't end up taking pictures in the actual park that Wicker Park is named for but instead poked into the backyard/playground of an elementary school. There's a picnic table and seats hewn out of rough logs there that is an unexpected rustic touch in the middle of the urban environment.vintagebanglesJEWELRY DETAILS:
Mexican Sterling Silver Star Bracelet (1970s?): Scooped up for $5 at a Chicago estate sale1960s resin bangles: Various Chicago thrift stores1970s sterling silver ring: Private Estate Sale, Chicago1940s smoky topaz silver ring: ?? Bought in Chicago 4 years ago, maybe Buffalo Exchange?starbraceletDoes anyone have an idea how old this bracelet might be? The purple stones are cut glass and it's a heavy piece. It's marked 925, sterling and Mexico. Before this summer I rarely wore bracelets and steered clear of silver jewelry but now wear both-- this bracelet was only $5 at an otherwise boring and picked over estate sale.bodicedetailminimarketbagMy mini market bag, made of straw and leather, is the perfect purse for summer jaunts. It's roomy enough for a novel, a bottle of water and any goodies I might pick up along the way. After searching for a vintage market bag for years, I found this one at the Salvation Army for $3.wickerparkgoldtoothmuralHow rad is that gold tooth? As you can probably tell from the color scheme and style the man and the tree from my first photo are part of the same mural in Wicker Park.
OUTFIT DETAILS1950s dress: Squaresville Vintage, Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles1950s pink bow fascinator: Antique store in Evanston1960s sunglasses: Antique store in Chicago1980s leather belt: N & K Vintage, Wicker ParkEspadrille Wedges: Shoe village of Liliw, Philippines
Thanks again to Sara of It's About the Look for taking all these wonderful photos! She'll be posting images & details of our walk over on her blog soon. I'm also linking up to Spunky Chateau's Thursdays are for Thrifters Roundup.
What is your neighborhood like? Do you often explore on foot or do you drive?