NYC Style Spot   +  thriftaholic

Polka Dots & Jazz Shoes
60spolkadotdressIt's been a slow transition into autumn here in Chicago; I'd already bought tights and brought out my boots last week and even had my first pumpkin latte of the season. For the past three days, however, the warmer temperatures have required reverting back to wearing cotton dresses and sandals which reminded me that I needed to post photos that were taken earlier this summer.

This set of photos were taken back in July by my friend and fellow blogger, Sara of It's About the Look. It was a hot and humid day and we took these pictures after hitting the Rosemont Flea Market at 7AM! The setting is a little park near Sara's apartment in the Ravenswood neighborhood, I'm posing in a gazebo above that curiously has an electric outlet (what would you plug into it?).jazzshoesSince the weather was unusually humid in Chicago this summer I kept reverting to little cotton frocks and 'sensible' shoes. My main form of exercise is walking and in the warm months I'll walk 10-15 miles each week.

I can't tell if this 1960s dress was actually meant as a housedress (as it zips up the front) or a little Mod tent dress, either way I just belted it to give it more shape and to make it wearable for a variety of activities.

OUTFIT DETAILS:
1960s cotton polka dot dress: Garage sale in my neighborhood last summer
Leather Jazz Shoes : Thrifted in Chicago
1970s sunglasses: Salvation Army Thrift Store, Chicago
1970s tooled leather purse: Buffalo Exchange, ChicagosilverjewelryACCESSORY DETAILS:
1930s/40s blue glass and silver ring: Randolph Street Market, Chicago
1970s mother of pearl and silver Mexican ring: Private estate sale, Chicago
Pewter boat necklace: Swedish American Museum, Chicago

Since silver can be harder to date than gold/gold filled pieces I didn't have much in my jewelry collection until this summer. My taste in jewelry is gradually evolving as I also started wearing bigger, more unusual pieces.1930sringpolkadotdressWe had no idea what purpose this faux rock serves, perhaps it's a sculpture? I felt a little like Alice in Wonderland posing on it.polkadotstrutI walked the length of the little stone wall and the two photos above are 'outtakes' from the shoot, I'm sure the sunbathers in the park thought we were silly!

Goodbye bare, tan legs and lush green lawns, I'll soon be saying hello to tights and brightly colored leaves. What pieces are you looking forward to wearing/buying this autumn?